airtraffic

Author Topic: Audio of US air 1549  (Read 11722 times)

Offline air727

Audio of US air 1549
« on: February 05, 2009, 01:20:11 PM »
Hey guys, maybe it's just me but I just heard the audio of the US air and I am a little confused. The LGA controller kept calling the flight "cactus 1549" Cactus is the designation for America West.

Were these guys missing a beat here?

Offline delta092b

Re: Audio of US air 1549
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 01:22:48 PM »
As of September 2008, USA and AWE is flying under one call sign, 'Cactus', and ICAO code 'AWE'.

And I think the controller kept calling him Cactus 1529

Offline SirIsaac726

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 08:16:41 PM »
As stated, due to the merger, it is now just US Airways using the "Cactus" callsign and AWE designator.

And both the pilot and the controller mixed up the callsign a little.

Offline air727

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 11:12:56 AM »
thanks guys

Offline Acey

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 06:07:25 PM »
Yup, in his initial call saying that he hit birds he said "Cactus 1539". When the controllers are talking right afterward they say 1529. They sort it out, though.

Offline jonnevin

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 12:22:15 PM »
if Captain "Sully" immediately took over flying once the bird strike occurred (as reported by news), then isn't the person speaking on most of the audio the F/O? (in contradiction to the news acting like Sully was the only person up front)

apologies if this was discussed elsewhere

Offline Hollis

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 02:44:53 PM »
From all that I've read and heard, I believe it was 'Sully' on the mic once he took the controls. The F/O had more than his hands full, what with trying to get engine relights, going through the many pages of checklists for ditching procedures, etc. (So much so in fact that he missed the 'Ditch-switch' activation).

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 03:01:53 PM »
if Captain "Sully" immediately took over flying once the bird strike occurred (as reported by news), then isn't the person speaking on most of the audio the F/O? (in contradiction to the news acting like Sully was the only person up front)

apologies if this was discussed elsewhere

I heard from a friend that on standby power in the A320, the captain is the only crew member with any radio equipment capability (com 1) so it was Sully on the frequency.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 04:06:13 PM »
In a normal situation, the pilot flying (PF) controls the aircraft and the pilot monitoring/pilot not flying (PNF) handles the radios.

In a situation requiring use of the QRH, the PF takes control of the radio while the PNF concentrates on the checklist/2nd radio back to company/etc.

In an urgent situation (decompression, double engine failure (single engine failure is not considered urgent), extreme weather conditions on landing) the captain, at his discretion, will take control of the aircraft.  This is due to him being the PIC, generally (but not always) having more experience in the aircraft or industry, and being able to make split second decisions about the immediate operation of the aircraft.
en
With AWE1549, the F/O was PF.  At the time of engine failure, instead of the F/O taking the radios, the Capt took the aircraft.  That is why you don't hear any change of voice before/after the emergency.  This, in no means, implies the F/O was not capable of handling the emergency on his own.  The F/O realizes everything comes down on the Capt's shoulders, and the Capt usually has more experience with the controls on the aircraft.  On a few occasions, I gladly turned control of the aircraft over to the capt to allow his skills to get us back on the ground (plus, I was just tired of flying in 60+ knot winds).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 04:12:29 PM by cessna157 »

Offline jonnevin

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 04:46:42 PM »
thanks guys, that is interesting

djmodifyd

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 06:25:44 PM »
In a normal situation, the pilot flying (PF) controls the aircraft and the pilot monitoring/pilot not flying (PNF) handles the radios.

In a situation requiring use of the QRH, the PF takes control of the radio while the PNF concentrates on the checklist/2nd radio back to company/etc.

In an urgent situation (decompression, double engine failure (single engine failure is not considered urgent), extreme weather conditions on landing) the captain, at his discretion, will take control of the aircraft.  This is due to him being the PIC, generally (but not always) having more experience in the aircraft or industry, and being able to make split second decisions about the immediate operation of the aircraft.
en
With AWE1549, the F/O was PF.  At the time of engine failure, instead of the F/O taking the radios, the Capt took the aircraft.  That is why you don't hear any change of voice before/after the emergency.  This, in no means, implies the F/O was not capable of handling the emergency on his own.  The F/O realizes everything comes down on the Capt's shoulders, and the Capt usually has more experience with the controls on the aircraft.  On a few occasions, I gladly turned control of the aircraft over to the capt to allow his skills to get us back on the ground (plus, I was just tired of flying in 60+ knot winds).

thanks!

Offline phil-s

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 09:16:19 PM »
Sorry folks if this has already been asked and answered but from what I've heard there was only one serious injury as a result of the ditching, though many people suffered hypothermia from the miserably cold air and water. The one serious injury was, again from what i've heard, a woman with two broken legs.  Has anyone seen any information on how that happened? Was she not strapped in? Someplace I thought I saw mention that she was one of the flight attendants but I don't know now where I saw that.  Just curious as it seems unusual that one person would suffer so much more serious injury than the others.

As for the audio and the controllers, I thought I could hear the dep controller's choke up just a little after he was sure the plane was in the river and as he started to get all th eothers a/c sorted out and rolling again.  I suspect that may have been in some ways harder on him than dealing with the actual incident. Ie, I'd imagine the training (and adrenaline) work better during the emergency event than later as you realize there's nothing more you can do and you have to face the task of getting everything rolling again.