Author Topic: Best Antenna!!!  (Read 18908 times)

Offline PilotChris8495

Best Antenna!!!
« on: January 18, 2011, 10:54:57 AM »
Hi, i have just got an airband scanner and need and antenna for it to boos rang a listen to ATC.

I have narrowed it down to these to option:

Maldol AL-500H http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1687.html

Watson w-881 antenna

Could you please give your opinion on which is the best antenna to use. Thank you  :-)

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
Re: Best Antenna!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:07:54 PM »
I would favor the Maldol AL-500H over the Watson.

How far away from the airport are you? Will you be using a handheld receiver or base/mobile? 

Ken

Offline allenk

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:40:53 PM »
Imo, if you're using a vertical, there's only a certain length you can make it before it doesn't matter what antenna you use. Build a 5/8 wave vertical for 128Mhz and you'll be listening to everything.

I once stripped some coax down to the copper feedline and it worked better than any antenna I had besides outdoor base ones.

For a base antenna, try a Moxon beam pointed at the airport. Very easy to build, very small for the band you need with more or the same directionality as a Yagi.

Offline PilotChris8495

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 11:43:55 AM »
Im about 15 miles from my nearest international airport and about 10 miles from a smaller airport.
I will be using a handheld receiver aswell.

Offline allenk

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »
Im about 15 miles from my nearest international airport and about 10 miles from a smaller airport.

15 miles is just about non doable with a handheld with a whip. You may get planes, but chances of tower/ground/approach is very slim unless you get some serious height.

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:47:59 PM »

15 miles is just about non doable with a handheld with a whip. You may get planes, but chances of tower/ground/approach is very slim unless you get some serious height.

I agree, at 15 miles it will be marginal with a handheld whip antenna.

Allenk - thanks on the Moxon info I may try building one of those myself.  :-)

Offline allenk

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 02:33:20 PM »

I agree, at 15 miles it will be marginal with a handheld whip antenna.

Allenk - thanks on the Moxon info I may try building one of those myself.  :-)

No problem.

They're really great in size and directional qualities. Much smaller than a yagi

I cant find the 2m moxon beam pattern, but here's a 10m one for 27Mhz. It looks similar to me.

The 2m has a low angle for airports, along with other lobes going into the sky, so it's great for ATC.

The only problem with a moxon, is it's fairly directional and it's F:B ratio means the back receives very badly compared to the front, so where ever it's pointed, is where it's going to be REALLY receiving. A vertical will receive well on all sides, but wont be nearly as directional and have as much gain.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:35:15 PM by allenk »