Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 02:21:18 AM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Listener Forum (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  Best place to view A-380 up close.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best place to view A-380 up close.  (Read 7316 times)
papa-gaga

« on: April 12, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »

Hi, I'm new here, so If this Is the wrong spot to post this question, my apologies. I am planning a trip to either LAX, or JFK the end of this month, and was just wandering which Is the best to see a A380? I would like to see one up close through the terminal window If at all possible. I will be flying In on a regular domestic flight, so I don't know If It would be possible to walk from inside one terminal to another, or ride tram from one to another to be able to see this aircraft. Someone with info on both airports please help me with this. Thank you.
w0x0f

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »

I hear the horizontal stabilizer of a regional jet offers an up close view.
joeyb747

Nothing Like A 747!

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 09:33:23 AM »

cheesy  rolleyes

Aircraft Mechanic
alltheway
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »

Working at one in summer holliday at the factory will do.... evil afro
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:33:26 PM by alltheway » Logged
cptbrw

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »

Well, the 380's are all flying international flights so it'll be tough to get an up close and personal look at one from the domestic terminals ate either JFK or LAX.  Having said that, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that you might get a decent view from one of the adjoining domestic terminals.  Timing might be another matter as they don't tend to spend a lot of time on the ground.
atcman23

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »

Yeah Taxiway Mike at JFK will give you a real close up view.

Mark Spencer
papa-gaga

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 06:10:28 PM »

Okay thank you, where Is taxiway Mike located? What terminal Is near It, or Is there a road nearby with a view?
atcman23

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 06:28:19 PM »

Located at John F. Kennedy Intl. Airport near Terminal 2.  There is a road really close by with a great view, but you'll need to be an airport employee to get on to that road. (see attached graphic; blue dotted line indicates the roadway).

Mark Spencer
cessna157

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »

AH!  Beat me to the punch.  I was going to say last row of a Comair -700

CRJ7/CRJ9 F/O, Travel Agent
cessna157

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 08:09:53 PM »

Okay thank you, where Is taxiway Mike located? What terminal Is near It, or Is there a road nearby with a view?

(that was a joke)

If you're in JFK, outside of the terminals, I hear there's a park somewhere in the bay that has a pretty nice view, especially when departing 31L.

CRJ7/CRJ9 F/O, Travel Agent
joeyb747

Nothing Like A 747!

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 09:08:04 PM »

I caught a Qantas A380 resting between flights as we left KLAX. These pics were taken during our takeoff roll. The tail number is too fuzzy to read...VH-OQG??

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:57:43 PM by joeyb747 » Logged

Aircraft Mechanic
tyketto

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 03:09:44 AM »

I caught a Qantas A380 resting between flights as we left KLAX. These pics were taken during our takeoff roll. The tail number is too fuzzy to read...VH-OQG??

Enjoy!

Which brings in the best place to spot it at LAX. In-n-Out or Imperial Hill will be your best bet there, as IIRC, QFA flights tend to use the north side of the field (24s). So that may be your best bet until KAL and SIA start their A380 service stateside. When they don't patrol it, Sandpiper may be a good place as well.

BL.
papa-gaga

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 05:59:58 PM »

Enjoy!
Those are great pictures, It looks like either B or G. I'm pretty certain I'm going to LAX, That way I can go to the beach down the road from the airport. I will probably fly Southwest myself, their rates are just very hard to beat. Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:01:46 PM by papa-gaga » Logged
tyketto

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »

Enjoy!
Those are great pictures, It looks like either B or G. I'm pretty certain I'm going to LAX, That way I can go to the beach down the road from the airport. I will probably fly Southwest myself, their rates are just very hard to beat. Thank you.

If you're going to LAX, then definitely hit up In-N-Out on Sepulveda Blvd, Imperial Hill, Sandpiper (caveat: Police routinely patrol here), and the Proud Bird. The Bird gets you the best view on the south side of the field, just south of the PAPIs and REILs for the 25s.

BL.
papa-gaga

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 06:27:35 PM »

Well, I am going to make my reservations, and purchase tickets next week, I'm going to LAX. What runway do they usually bring the Qantas A380 in on, and takeoff from? I would like to possibly meet up with some fellow plane spotters to get to the best spots. Thank you again, I appreciate all the feedback.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length