Author Topic: Boston John  (Read 5071 times)

Offline bboseley

Boston John
« on: September 21, 2006, 09:44:10 PM »
Love listening to “Boston  John”.  My newbie status may become obvious, but why is it that John seems to be the only controller (in my limited experience) who requires only a squawk code for read back?  :?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: Boston John
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 03:05:39 AM »
Love listening to “Boston  John”.  My newbie status may become obvious, but why is it that John seems to be the only controller (in my limited experience) who requires only a squawk code for read back?  :?

It's standard operating practice at Boston, and many other Class B airports, to only have to read back the squawk code, unless you have further questions about the clearance.

Dave

dontsayuhoh

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 09:44:20 AM »
In canada, unless specifically asked... you only need to read back the ident and squawk code.  some airports do things a bit differently and give the pilots more info then they need.  Because of that the pilots feel that they need to read back more of the route.  In reality it is just a waste of time and the pilot still only ever needs to read back only the squawk code.

The reason you would need to read back more then just the code would be that part of the flight planned routing has changed.  This could occur because the pilot filed a non preferred route, the pilot filed the wrong routing altogether, or the pilot just plain screwed up and transposed a VOR or something.  YZY instead of YYZ.

At some airports we also have a data link that gives the airplanes their clearances.. So the pilot doesnt even need to read back the squawk code.  The pilot gives the controller the discreet 4 digit computer generated code (something like 4A3R)  If this matches what the controller has on his screen then thats it.  If not then the whole clearance has to be read to the pilot.

Why dont they just use the 4 digit transponder code???  well that would probably be too easy.. ;)  haha

Im not sure on that one...

Offline tyketto

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 01:15:37 PM »

It's standard operating practice at Boston, and many other Class B airports, to only have to read back the squawk code, unless you have further questions about the clearance.

Dave

And to further affirm that, the following in on the ATIS at KLAX:

Upon receiving your ATC clearance read back only your callsign and transponder code unless you have a question.

I've seen some major Class C airports not require the full clearance as well.

BL.