Author Topic: Boston  (Read 9309 times)

Offline DTAK

Boston
« on: February 01, 2006, 07:37:13 PM »
Started listening tonight.  Trying to figure out the routine.
Aircraft taking off on 22R, arriving on 22L and 27.  It sounds like 27 was being used only for cargo aircraft.  Is this the normal setup when possible, splitting the cargo/passanger between the two runways?

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Re: Boston
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 07:47:35 PM »
Quote from: DTAK
Started listening tonight.  Trying to figure out the routine.
Aircraft taking off on 22R, arriving on 22L and 27.  It sounds like 27 was being used only for cargo aircraft.  Is this the normal setup when possible, splitting the cargo/passanger between the two runways?

This is Boston's common "LAHSO" configuration.

In that runway configuration, aircraft depart 22R and land 27 and 22L.  Aircraft landing 22L are asked if they are able to Land and Hold Short of runway 27 on 22L because the two runways intersect.  If they cannot, more separation is created so the aircraft can use the full length of 22L and not conflict with inbound 27 traffic.

27 isn't just used for "cargo" in fact heavy aircraft are sequenced for 22L so they can use the longer runway.  They don't separate passenger/airline traffic from cargo necessarily.  A Fedex 727 may be following an American 737 for 27 and a UPS 747 can be following a Lufthansa 747 on 22L.  Sequencing for the 27/22L LAHSO configuration is largly based upon aircraft type, inbound fix[es] and occasionally request(s).

Jason

PS: Note bold face type is information provided by "TC"

Offline DTAK

Boston
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 08:23:45 PM »
I see.  The LAHSO was frequent.

I seem to have caught several FedEx going into 27, and with the cargo area at the end of that, figured it was a normal thing.  But like you say, the 22L is 3000 feet longer, it terminates down near the cargo ramp too.

Busy busy place.

TC

Boston
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 12:35:08 PM »
Sequencing for runways 22l and 27 is actually based more on inbound fixes, not types.  There are some times when certain a/c will request something else, but not that often.  Even landing 22l to hold short of 27 is a considerable distance and most a/c can do it.  More often than not, a heavy given full length on 22L will STILL exit the rwy before 27.

As for splitting the arrivals based on cargo vs passenger, absolutely not.  That simply is not a factor.  Must've been a coincidence when you were listening, maybe very late at night when a fair # of cargo planes are coming in?

TC

Boston
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 06:09:40 PM »
LOL!!  I guess it was easier to edit the previous answer to include the correct info than to thank me for providing it!    :wink:

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Boston
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 06:12:08 PM »
Quote from: TC
LOL!!  I guess it was easier to edit the previous answer to include the correct info than to thank me for providing it!    :wink:

I do thank you and I had a PM on the way, but now I don't.  I decided to edit the post to avoid confusion.  I have edited my post again to reflect full credit to you for posting the info.  Sorry if you felt strongly about it...

If you have any concerns, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the info  :wink: ,

Jason

TC

Boston
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 07:20:02 PM »
It was a joke!  (Thus the "LOL" and  :wink: )

Relax.  No strong feelings.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Boston
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 07:23:37 PM »
It was a joke!  (Thus the "LOL" and  :wink: )

Relax.  No strong feelings.

I come across all sorts of people on webboards, and since I have a somewhat high rank and reputation here, I had to act appropriately....or at least on the first shot  :P  LOL has become wayyyyy over abused on the internet when in cases where it shouldn't be (AKA: using LOL when actually being serious)

I saw you threw in a "LOL" in there and meant it in a joke-type way.  I've been sick the last few days, so my humor mode has been turned off temp.  ...are you a controller at Boston or F90?

Thanks!

Jason

P.S. Back to hitting the tissues and flying magazines....ah the joys of being a sick pilot.

TC

Boston
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 09:48:29 PM »
I'm a controller at BOS.  Where's F90?

Offline jamall02864

Boston
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 10:03:26 PM »
now thas cool stuff talking to a controler at bos     my faverit to listen to by the way:)   i cant think of any good questions to ask now :( but  i know they will come   :)

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Boston
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 10:05:34 PM »
I'm a controller at BOS.  Where's F90?

F90 is the Boston Consolidated TRACON.  I should have inserted "A90" which I believe refers to the Boston terminal approach service, not Manchester and Boston (F90).  ...although I've never gotten one exact answer on whether F90 was the correct TRACON identifier or not.  I've heard F90, A90, and BCT.  ...still can't get one answer either.

Jason

TC

Boston
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 06:34:37 AM »
Far as I know it's A90.