airtraffic

Author Topic: Cheap Scanner?  (Read 10815 times)

Offline Tanner

Cheap Scanner?
« on: July 28, 2005, 07:58:29 PM »
Hi guys, I am looking to buy a cheap scanner for my personal use. I am not looking for some big top of the line scanner or anything. Just something small light that I can take with me. The one thing I am however looking for is something with good range. I do want to be able to get a fair; actually a very good range, but I dont want to pay the $300 for a top of a line Scanner that has all the bells and whistles.

So, to break it down I just want a cheap scanner with good range, thanks guys!

Offline Sirclown82

Cheap Scanner?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 08:36:01 PM »
I have seen one of these things in action before, and it was really good. It has a very sensitive receiver for the price. If i was going to get a simple-to-use replacement for the one i have, this would probably be the one.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F008%5F009%5F010%5F005&product%5Fid=20%2D424

It has an external bnc antenna connection along with a headphone output, even a computer connection port on the back. If that link doesnt work go to the Radioshack.com website and type in up on top  in the search box 20-424 or Pro-2018.

Offline Tanner

Cheap Scanner?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 08:44:25 PM »
Ah ok, very nice, thanks!! I am looking for something more along the lines of hand held so I can bring it while spotting or something.

Offline Sirclown82

Cheap Scanner?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 08:55:24 PM »
ill find you another one that i have seen working.

try this one. I keep suggesting a RS model because they are made by Uniden but have Radioshack painted on the side and they tend to be a little less expensive than most.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F008%5F009%5F010%5F005&product%5Fid=20%2D315

Cool thing about this and most RS handhelds are they support Rechargable batteries.

Offline Tanner

Cheap Scanner?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 09:04:18 PM »
Ah great, there we go!! Thats what I am looking for. I think Ill go check this one out, thanks, any others out there!?

Offline JetBlue

Cheap Scanner?
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 09:13:26 PM »
Price is $199 for an Icom R5, fits in your shirt pocket and has wideband receive...I keep it with me pretty much all the time. Check it out here. You can find them for less on ebay...

http://www.icomamerica.com/products/receivers/r5/

Offline Tanner

Cheap Scanner?
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 09:35:10 PM »
Ah neato! Little to expensive for me at this point in time though, but yeah ill check it out on E-Bay. Also waht is the range on the hand held one at Radio Shack?

Offline Sirclown82

Cheap Scanner?
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 10:35:49 PM »
The range really depends on alotta things. Indoors, Outdoors, Buildings, so on and so on. It comes with a little rubberduck antenna that is really nice. If your going to be spotting, this scanner should be great. I use the model that this scanner replaced and it works like a charm, no problems, so i would imagine that this one is close to the same if not better.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Cheap Scanner?
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 11:24:55 PM »
Quote from: sirclown82
The range really depends on alotta things. Indoors, Outdoors, Buildings, so on and so on. It comes with a little rubberduck antenna that is really nice. If your going to be spotting, this scanner should be great. I use the model that this scanner replaced and it works like a charm, no problems, so i would imagine that this one is close to the same if not better.

There is no such thing as a nice rubber ducky antenna.  :-)  They are very inefficient antennas.

If you want poor range, use a rubber ducky.  If you want to have better range, use a telescopic 1/2-wave or 1/4-wave antenna.  If you are spotting, then the rubber ducky will work fine, provided the ground (controller) transmitters are located on or close to the field.

As to your search for a handheld scanner...you might want to just focus on used equipment.  Handhelds tend to be more expensive.  There are plenty of suitable handhelds on sale for below $100USD.  For airband they all perform about the same.  The antenna is more important...most of the receivers have about the same sensitivity.

-dave

Offline Sirclown82

Cheap Scanner?
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 12:51:31 AM »
I was actually thinking about an airband helical antenna, not a rubberduck. I like telescopics except that they can break easy. A helical has good results and is flexible. I use helicals on my amatuer handheld transceivers. They are hard to find though, but it's worth the search.