Author Topic: Cleared for the Option  (Read 14711 times)

Offline wbravo66

Cleared for the Option
« on: October 06, 2007, 06:48:52 PM »
I listen to John Wayne airport regularly (from Melbourne Australia) and I constantly hear "aircraft Call sign), runway one niner cleared for the option". This is not a term used in Australian aviation.

When I look at the terminal chart for John Wayne there are two runways 19R obviously for the "burners" 19L for the "bug smashers"

Offline Dr Bob

Re: Cleared for the Option
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 06:57:50 PM »
This means that the pilot may perform any of the following maneuvers:

- land (full stop)
- land (stop and go)
- land (touch and go)
- low approach
- go around

This is commonly given to training flights.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 08:00:47 PM »
And contrary to what some pilots think it does NOT authorize the aircraft to make a short approach.

Offline athaker

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 02:28:54 AM »
whats the proper read back from a pilot when given this clearance?

i'm assuming you don't say "roger, cleared for the option" in response...but ive been curious

Offline tyketto

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 03:45:03 AM »
whats the proper read back from a pilot when given this clearance?

i'm assuming you don't say "roger, cleared for the option" in response...but ive been curious

I believe you do, as well as your callsign and the runway assignment. I know you have to read back the runway assignment (unless only one runway is open/in use), but I believe you *can* read it all back (only some things are required per FARs).

A couple days ago while I was listening to NorCal next to KMHR, a pilot called in asking for pattern work, and each time, the tower gave him 'runway 22R, cleared for the option, unable stop and go'. The pilot read back 'cleared for the option, runway 22R' and his callsign.

BL.

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 07:00:14 AM »
tyketto, are you planning on running a feed for KMHR? Im close enough to KSAC and much closer to KSUU so i  was thinking of trying to get a feed for travis app/KSUU.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 02:25:51 PM »
tyketto, are you planning on running a feed for KMHR? Im close enough to KSAC and much closer to KSUU so i  was thinking of trying to get a feed for travis app/KSUU.

Yep, I am. I'm just waiting for another scanner to come in, then I'll start the setup. From my handheld at home, I can get NorCal Approach into just about everywhere around here, including SMF, MAC, MHR, MYV and BAB, so it all depends on what more I can get out of my antenna.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

BL.