airtraffic

Author Topic: D-Side Controller / Clearances  (Read 14437 times)

Offline egothrasher

D-Side Controller / Clearances
« on: June 13, 2013, 03:09:27 PM »
I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand for an assignment, help me with the first one and I could figure out the rest. I am to assign departure and arrival clearances for 10 aircraft by filling out a flight progress strip.
 Attached are the flight progress strips and the controller chart. Any help on the first one, SKW7756 would be helpful, as then I could use it to figure out the rest. From what I understand so far, Departing SLC, then MLF V235 to CDC. Do I choose any departure from SLC and any arrival to CDC, and if so, where do I put it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Re: D-Side Controller / Clearances
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 01:10:03 AM »
Not really sure what your assignment is but I'd refer you to here:

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/ATC/atc0203.html#atc0203.html.1

As for what SIDs and STARs to assign, you have to look through and see which ones make sense to assign.  For SLC, the EDITH1, FFU7, SEVYR1, and WEVIC2 are the only ones that contain MLF or CDC in the route segments so obviously only these ones would make sense to assign.  You'd do the same for STAR procedures at the arrival airports.  If the aircraft is inbound from the northwest, don't use a STAR which feeds the arrival airport from the southeast.

As for where you should indicate the clearance on your flight progress strips...well nowhere on any of the boxes which can be filled in on the attached pdf, at least not according to the 7110.  Perhaps your school has a separate stripmarking SOP which can offer guidance on how to indicate these routings.  Otherwise I'd put them in box 25 with the rest of the route of flight.

Good luck.

Offline DhruvK

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 03:44:37 AM »
Is this for a radar or non-radar class?

The strips all look valid for enroute traffic through the one sector, so it would help as stated above if we knew the scope of the assignment.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 11:07:12 AM »
Anyone know if there is some way to obtain a copy of these controller charts ?

I see you can order them from this website (but only if you work for the FAA) ....

http://faacharts.faa.gov/Catalog.aspx?a=AERO+NOS+CONTROLLER+CC&Page=All

I don't understand why they would restrict it ? Would an FOIA request work ?

On the controller chart above posted by egothrasher I see the sector boundaries are displayed in red, but it kinda looks like they were added in, do the actual enroute controller charts show the individual sector boundaries like that ?

Thanks for any info.

DJ

Offline klkm

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 05:00:44 PM »
Yes the enroute controller charts overlay sector boundaries in red typically, along with usually a appendix box with letters a-z or whatever showing you shelves of airspace, with the appropriate letter being in appropriate boundary on the chart.  As for this assignment, I don't know what they are looking for, stripmarking guides have been long out of date, with URET being used, and are really facility specific at this point if you are using strips for departure or arrivals.  Not to mention I don't know what marking they want you to do, approach to expect, atis issued, and called into the tower (if there is one), are usually what we put down.  I don't think CDC has any STARS so I guess you would just mark crossing MLF at 9500 for the ILS approach or something who knows, seems like a stupid assignment. 

757-rules

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 10:00:53 AM »
I don't know if it is a stupid assignment, because I found this:

"D" is for Data

The D-side is the data controller. Some refer to it as the manual controller. Others refer to it as the non-radar controller. I need to point out (to spare myself the argumentative email) that the D-side position at Atlanta Center (ZTL) has evolved over the years somewhat differently than at other facilities. Controllers that transfer into ZTL are mystified by the differences, on occasion. Others actually learn to like it and appreciate the differences. There is one more caveat I'm going to throw in here: What follows is how I believe the D-side position should function. You can find plenty of debate about "technique" among controllers.

The primary job of the D-side is to separate airplanes, just like every other controller. The processes he uses to get the job done are very different from that of the radar controller (the guy you talk to on the radio). Atlanta Center still uses Flight Progress Strips (thankfully) and these are the primary tools of the D-side. The strips are printed next to the sector and the A-side (Assistant Controller) places them into plastic strip holders and delivers them to the appropriate sector. The D-side takes them, reviews the information printed on the strip and sequences the strips according to the time printed on the strip.

And I found it here: http://www.avweb.com/news/sayagain/188285-1.html

Offline pilot303

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 12:21:29 PM »
I am in the same class and completely at a loss as far as what we are to do.

Has anyone figured this out? As egothrasher mentioned, there really isn't any guidance. Also, if I could just see how one of these works I could figure out the rest.

I would really appreciate any help