Author Topic: FEDEX Plane CRASHES at Lubbock, Tx  (Read 22811 times)

Offline chefnoel

Offline ect76

• EGPH
Re: FEDEX Plane CRASHES at Lubbock, Tx
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 07:18:38 PM »
 "There is a trail of jet fuel from their impact area, which was in the grass, to where it sits now to the right of the runway north of the terminal."

I wasn't aware there was a jet-variant of the ATR-42  :wink:

Glad everyone's ok.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:46:15 PM »
"There is a trail of jet fuel from their impact area, which was in the grass, to where it sits now to the right of the runway north of the terminal."

I wasn't aware there was a jet-variant of the ATR-42  :wink:

Glad everyone's ok.

Um........is that a joke?  Or am I just really confused     :?

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:54:43 PM »
You're not the only confused one.

Offline ect76

• EGPH
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 08:31:39 PM »
Never mind, I'll go sit in the corner. Still glad everyone's ok though...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:34:34 PM by ect76 »

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 08:54:09 PM »

It's alright i do that often too  :-)    i'm glad everyones okay too

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 10:52:30 PM »

Haha, did somebody have a brain fart?

Don't worry, it'll happen more and more often as you get older

Offline KASWspotter

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 08:58:38 PM »
From what I've seen and read they landed short is that correct? Just tryin to get the facts for future speculation. What are the natural factors that could contribute to that? Low level windshear? Plus I dont know if they were doing an ILS or visual approach. This one will be interesting to see what actually happened and caused it. Glad they walked away though.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 09:36:05 PM »
From what I've seen and read they landed short is that correct? Just tryin to get the facts for future speculation. What are the natural factors that could contribute to that? Low level windshear?

I believe the weather at the time was freezing drizzle/freezing fog.  Airframe  icing would be my first suspect.

Offline atcman23

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 09:42:05 PM »

For the confused:

The ATR-42 is a turboprop aircraft.  It burns Jet-A ("jet fuel") to operate.  Thus, the statement is correct.

Also, according to an NTSB release earlier today, the aircraft was on an ILS approach into the airport.  With the freezing rain being reported, I'm also thinking aircraft icing, but it's way too early to tell, of course.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 09:54:52 PM »
The ATR-42 is a turboprop aircraft.

And, wasn't it an American Airlines ATR-42 that crashed outside of Chicago in a holding pattern at 13,000 feet due to ice back in the early '90s, setting off a major advance in the understanding of the perils of airframe icing?

I am too lazy to look up the aircraft type specifically but I recall it being an ATR model.

(not that this has anything to do with the current accident under question other than bring up a discussion point)

Offline atcman23

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:24:24 AM »
Yes I believe it was.  I'll see what I can find on the NTSB reports about that.  Heck, there have been a couple of airframe icing accidents since then that involved airlines.  I recall a CRJ in the late 90s near Detroit.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 09:32:15 AM »
And, wasn't it an American Airlines ATR-42 that crashed outside of Chicago in a holding pattern at 13,000 feet due to ice back in the early '90s, setting off a major advance in the understanding of the perils of airframe icing?

I am too lazy to look up the aircraft type specifically but I recall it being an ATR model.

(not that this has anything to do with the current accident under question other than bring up a discussion point)

Pretty much...American Eagle actually (EGF).  That accident led to several Airwortiness Directives for the ATR regarding the Deice boots and ailerons.  Also American Eagle phased out their ATRs in that region moving the majority of them to SJU and the remainder to MIA and DFW.

Back in my deicing days in SYR, Continental Express was still flying ATRs into the airport.  On the rare days it wasn't snowing the BTA ATRs would be our only customers.  They'd come in with so much ice on them we'd have to deice the turn flight just to get the inbound ice off the airframe.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 09:54:14 AM »
Back in my deicing days in SYR, Continental Express was still flying ATRs into the airport.  On the rare days it wasn't snowing the BTA ATRs would be our only customers.  They'd come in with so much ice on them we'd have to deice the turn flight just to get the inbound ice off the airframe.

Interesting information. 

These days Continental's regional carriers use Dash-8s and CRJs to do their dirty work here in SYR.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 02:50:48 PM »
Yes I believe it was.  I'll see what I can find on the NTSB reports about that.  Heck, there have been a couple of airframe icing accidents since then that involved airlines.  I recall a CRJ in the late 90s near Detroit.

Comair (3272?) EMB-120 Brasilia, CVG-DTW

Offline atcman23

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 08:12:35 PM »
Here is what I found on the NTSB website with regard to In-flight icing encounters for airlines:

American Eagle Flight 4184, 10/31/1994, ATR-72, Indiana

Comair Flight 3272, 1/9/1997, Embraer-120 near Monroe, MI

Offline KASWspotter

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 09:11:04 PM »
The Eagle Flight incident is an interesting read from the cockpit voice recorder transcripts. The pilots commented a couple times on the deck angle and considered dialing in some flaps. In a nutshell the autopilot held the aircraft until it couldnt hold it anymore and disconnected. Pretty much handed the crew an already out of control airplane.