Author Topic: flying a holding pattern  (Read 4724 times)

Offline kaycekwon

flying a holding pattern
« on: March 16, 2014, 11:36:31 AM »
I know that there are many reasons why an aircraft must be put on hold

I know that controllers can't help but to put them in holding pattern due to situations that are out of their hands but is there anything that controllers might be able to do to reduce the time the aircraft spends holding?

I mean they could try as fast as possible to take care of whatever is going on on the ground. But I mean in situations like bad weather they are helpless right? What exactly can controllers do in their power to reduce holding time?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: flying a holding pattern
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:58:14 AM »
Holds are instigated by something happening "downstream" from the controller issuing the hold.  As you point out, it could be anything.  The reasons are numerous….but typically involve weather and congestion/flow issues.

The only thing the controller can do, that *is* within their control, is re-clear the aircraft to an alternate if the pilot asks for it.  Such is the case when fuel starts getting critically short, etc.

In some cases you'll hear pilots trying to get in more quickly by declaring fuel emergencies, etc. - that doesn't always help.  It really depends on what's going on on the ground (or elsewhere) that's creating the need for holding in the first place.