Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 08:00:17 AM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Listener Forum (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  French on Montreal feed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: French on Montreal feed  (Read 3115 times)
eddiel

« on: March 16, 2005, 05:31:14 PM »

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered; I'm new to the forum. I was listening to the Montreal feed and was surprised to hear commands been given in French. I had thought English was the international language for ATC. Is this a special situation in Quebec, and is it based on pilot's preference which language to use?

Thanks for a great website.
Lexxx

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 07:12:19 PM »

Quote from: eddiel
I had thought English was the international language for ATC. Is this a special situation in Quebec, and is it based on pilot's preference which language to use?

Pilots are permitted to use French in Quebec if they wish.

English is the "recommended" language of aviation by ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization).

It is not a mandatory thing.
rool4ever

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 01:32:56 AM »

True, I live in Quebec and my dad works for ICAO. No such rule. Its actually pretty cool to hear this feed as its the only one where people will speak french compared to the other ATC feeds in Canada
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length