Author Topic: How to become an ATC  (Read 35744 times)

Offline KSYR-pjr

How to become an ATC
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2006, 08:36:22 PM »
Quote from: Umop3pisdn
I am alright at typing, and I hate video games.

Hmmm... maybe you should consider a career as a forest ranger instead.  :)

Offline Umop3pisdn

How to become an ATC
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2006, 09:18:20 PM »
:x  :shock:  :lol: OUCH!...haha...Well, let me elabarate... I hate the shooting games...I always die...I like the racing games..and i used to love playing flight simulator 98  8) <--Yeah you know I'm cool

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
How to become an ATC
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2006, 10:47:54 PM »
Hey now......stop the press!!!  I just heard FAA Administrator Marion Blakey say on CSPAN that the only requirement to work as a controller is a high school diploma and the ability to pass the test.

Nevermind the fact that the FAA's primary method for hiring controllers is the collegiate training initiative which specifically requires a college degree.  And nevermind the littany of psychological, medical, credit, employment, and criminal background checks that are also required. :?

Offline Chaos81

How to become an ATC
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 10:51:48 PM »
Quote from: davolijj
Hey now......stop the press!!!  I just heard FAA Administrator Marion Blakey say on CSPAN that the only requirement to work as a controller is a high school diploma and the ability to pass the test.

I'm watching too. When I heard her say that, I about spit my Dr Pepper all over the place.

Offline ZOTAN

How to become an ATC
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 10:53:02 PM »
Marion Blakey is a joke. She just flat out lies to get what she wants. What a disgrace...

Offline PHL Approach

How to become an ATC
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2006, 07:19:24 AM »

Nevermind the fact that the FAA's primary method for hiring controllers is the collegiate training initiative which specifically requires a college degree.  And nevermind the littany of psychological, medical, credit, employment, and criminal background checks that are also required. :?

That was the main thing I had a beef with when I watched it yesterday at 3. I just shook my head and started saying "NO.... NO... WTF are you talking about, what was the last time they did off the street hiring other then the Fairs last summer". For the most part I liked the callers questions. Other than that jackass from Alabama. He said the controller that called from California needs to be happy with his pay. He wasn't complaining, he wanted her to stop changing the top pay numbers. It's been like 6 different figures now. We need to get the Alabama guy some facility tours!

There was one controller that I think just killed it with his few questions. I think it was the controller from Louisiana.  The other guy (from Georgia whose Dad worked in a Center) that caught something I posted about two days ago involving giving the ARTCC Areas a rating. He read it word verbatim off the contract proposal. I would like to praise him for bringing that up on live air, since pay will be even less because of the drop in facility rating. The last thing I wanted to say was about someone that brought up Truck Drivers can make in the range of 50k. Yea and they don't have to pay for an Associates/ BA Degree. All they have to dish out for is CDL training, and maybe the truck company pays for that. Anyway, what I have been trying to say over the past few days in the forum. Is there are alot of jobs out there that can make much more than or equal to this new pay scale, without 1. Politics 2. Paying student loans and 3. Waiting up to a year to three years to be in Process just to go to OKC!

*Rant Over*

BTW, Matt shes a politician. She gets paid to lie, after all thats what that $162,100 paycheck is for. If only politicans would get up on a show and say "Unfortunately, I have been lying about an issue lately and I need to tell you the truth" haha, if that happened. The Federal Government would have had their "Going out of Business" sale long ago.

Offline Umop3pisdn

How to become an ATC
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2006, 03:24:48 PM »
Im still confused..Do i need to go to a regular school for four years, or can i go to a CTI schoolafter I graduate?

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
How to become an ATC
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2006, 05:06:37 PM »
Im still confused..Do i need to go to a regular school for four years, or can i go to a CTI schoolafter I graduate?

I my opinion you're best bet is still the CTI program or the military.  Your chances of getting hired "off the street" are very slim.

Offline digger

How to become an ATC
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2006, 05:17:27 PM »
Umop3pisdn wrote:

The way I read the question is, you're not asking if you can get hired "off the street", with a high school diploma, but "do you need to go to a regular college, before attending a CTI school?"

The answer to that is, that the CTI schools are colleges, and you'll graduate there with a college degree specifically tailored to becoming an ATC.

Somebody can correct me if I'm confused too...    :)

Offline ZOTAN

How to become an ATC
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2006, 05:37:44 PM »

I my opinion you're best bet is still the CTI program or the military.  Your chances of getting hired "off the street" are very slim.

That may change though in the next few years. With the upcoming "staffing crisis", off the street may become the norm.

Offline Umop3pisdn

How to become an ATC
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2006, 06:20:33 PM »
Quote from: digger

The way I read the question is, you're not asking if you can get hired "off the street", with a high school diploma, but "do you need to go to a regular college, before attending a CTI school?"
The answer to that is, that the CTI schools are colleges, and you'll graduate there with a college degree specifically tailored to becoming an ATC.

Thats what I ment, and thanks! Are the CTI school expensive, do they offer financial aid and such? My mom is single, and is self employed, and my dad...well..hes a deadbeat jerk..but thats a whole diffrent topic

Offline senduhelp

How to become an ATC
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2006, 06:49:51 PM »
Anyone know of any job fairs coming up in the central pennsylvania area with ATC representatives?

Offline CVG

How to become an ATC
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2006, 12:38:03 PM »
- Go for the United States Air Force brother, it's the best deal in town.  All you need is a diploma, desire.  I'll be retiring in less then 17 years if all goes as planed...

Offline KCbook05

How to become an ATC
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2006, 12:50:43 AM »
See im a Sophomore at my High School. And earlier this year i did a Job shadow at the Detroit Metro Airport. And I did my Shadow the the Flight Director and i asked that question "Is it better to go to a ATC school and get my degree or is it better to go into the Airfore" And he said " It is better to go to school, Most people coming out of the Airfore dont get the jobs because they work with Completly different aircraft" " So navigating the commerical jets will be a challenge to get used to other then the Airforce fighters"... Just thought id let yall know.. Will somone please let me know if he was wrong, Because after hearing that kinda discouraged me but hey theres other things in Aviation..

Thanks... Kc

Offline phlcontroller

How to become an ATC
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2006, 10:27:34 AM »
I would say Air force if you like rotations to the desert.  I tried that avenue many years ago. Ended up going to Beaver county College in PA. after my enlistment. After the 2 year program at BVI  I had to wait a year before being hired but, eventually got in the door. Been an ATC for 8 years now, loving it, working level 12 traffic and would recomend BVI to anyone.

flyMKEmilwaukee414

How to become an ATC
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2006, 10:53:40 AM »
wow its good to hear all these new ATC ers . keep up your dreams and they will come true

Offline michaelt747

How to become an ATC
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2006, 05:55:33 PM »
does anyone know about SERCO.  I hear they run about 54ish control Towers in the United States.  I talked to a lady at John Wayne Air Traffic Control Tower today and she said that the FAA will be hiring a lot of these controllers that work for SERCO.

Anybody know???

Thanx, Michael

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
How to become an ATC
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2006, 01:10:02 AM »
Quote from: michaelt747
does anyone know about SERCO.  I hear they run about 54ish control Towers in the United States.  I talked to a lady at John Wayne Air Traffic Control Tower today and she said that the FAA will be hiring a lot of these controllers that work for SERCO...

Not sure what you're asking exactly.  Are you looking to get a job with Serco?  My understanding is that they require a CTO and a minimum of 1 year of experience.  As for their people getting hired by the FAA, they also go through the conventional avenues (VRA, CTI, ATSAT).