Author Topic: How to listen to atc on Maycom AR-108  (Read 13987 times)

Offline Dalej123

How to listen to atc on Maycom AR-108
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:22:36 AM »
Hi,

I have just bought a maycom Ar-108 and i went up to my local airport and put in the frequenices and it did not work. Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Offline delta092b

Re: How to listen to atc on Maycom AR-108
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:26:17 AM »
Sounds like it is defective. Are you sure that you are on the Airband frequency?

If you scan the airways, do you hear any air traffic at all? Unless you live in a remote area with no air traffic in the vacinity, you should typically be able to pick up aircraft flying overhead (but not necessarily the ATC).

I have a Maycom AR-108 and the unit is basic and easy to use. If you can't get any traffic then the unit is likely defective.

Offline Dalej123

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 11:30:13 AM »
Yes there was.

Offline delta092b

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:31:59 AM »
There was as in "you could hear other air traffic"?

In that case are you sure you have the correct freqency for your airport? Did you check with any other aviation enthusiasts at the airport? Which airport are you are at and what frequencies are you using?

Offline chefnoel

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:30:22 AM »

Offline Popoki Nui

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 11:30:24 PM »
By way of my first post here, I have a similar problem with my AR-108.  In scan mode, the silly thing will absolutely not stop on an active frequency.   Not in any of the three bands: VHF, Air, or Memory scan.  I can manually stop and select an active frequency, and it receives it just fine (surprisingly well, actually). But it will not stop on an active freq in scan mode.  Kinda defeats the purpose of being a scanner.
  I have tried several different antennas, squelch settings, but still no joy.
 Unfortunately, I picked it up passing through YVR last year, so taking it back to the store is out.  Any ideas?  Can I get it repaired somewhere?   

Offline wilso31

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 07:22:28 AM »
I have just picked up the maycom ar 180 and all i get is crackle? does say busy on the screen though? any thoughts i live on the main flight path to birmingham and east midlands i put the frequency in says busy but just crackle ?

how do i listen to over head aircraft or pick them up?