airtraffic

Author Topic: IAD Feed  (Read 23167 times)

Offline terrysb

Re: IAD Feed
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 12:50:25 AM »
First and foremost I don't take offense at any suggestions on what should be carried on the feed.  I don't think anyone will question the fact that the airspace around IAD is very complex.  Coming up with the right mix of frequencies that provides for interesting listening without too many compromises, however, is not easy. 

Further complicating matters is that the Potomac TRACON transmitters are scattered around the area and my ability to receive some of the desired frequencies varies.  So quality of service is another issue to deal with.

To set the record straight when I corresponded with Dave and others regarding the feed I was not presented with a set of rules about what frequencies to carry or not carry.  The fact is they asked me what I was covering.  Since that time the only discussion regarding the feed has been on this forum.  So, I don't get the sense that there is some bureaucratic set of edicts that govern the feeds.  Certainly, nothing in this discussion is suggestive of that either from my point of view.

In my opinion on a site like this where there are many listeners cycling through a certain degree of consistency should have some weight in deciding what is practical for a feed.  While technically alternating frequency coverage is not a big deal it could cause confusion for those who come upon the site casually.  So in this respect I agree with Dave.

As far as covering more frequencies, I am not opposed.  I think the immediate suggestions from this discussion are good ones.  The feed is barely a week old, however, so my inclination is to introduce change slowly.  I'm interested in other opinions and then willing to make some decisions.

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 06:17:15 AM »
The best solution for a hub airport is having multiple streams, but that requires more scanners, more soundcards and eats deeper into the feeder's bandwidth. Considering that the feeders are volunteers, we can not force expenses on them. As volunteers, the operators of the feeds are the arbiters of which frequencies to put on the scanner, with Dave making the final decision to feed it from LiveATC.net.

I thank all the volunteer feeders that make this site worth visiting. (And Dave + staff.)

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 11:26:16 AM »
Hi Terry,

I'm interested in other opinions and then willing to make some decisions.

When listening to very busy/congested airspace, such as what is found in the IAD area (I'm familiar with it), my personal preference is to concentrate on one "area" like Tower or Departure or Approach, not necessarily one over the other but not all at the same time. This way you can follow what is going on in at least that one area, as opposed to multiple busy sectors that just end up blocking each other out.

Although not my preference the most popular feeds seem to be Tower, as far as traffic volume goes, your feed would be excellent if you just monitored the two Tower frequencies only.

Based on traffic volume, other configurations that would work on their own:

1) Departure: 126.650, 125.050
2) Approach (initial): 126.100, 124.650, 120.450
3) Approach (final): 125.800, 134.200, 128.800 (status?)
4) Approach (high): 125.650, 118.675, 123.825

My personal preference would be option 2) the initial arrival sectors, option 4) would be good too but I doubt there would be much interest. Combining any of the above options would be too busy. Of course this is just my own opinion and I fully respect that others might not have the same preferences. 

These are just "suggestions" and I'm certainly not "expecting" or "demanding" anything. It's refreshing that we can have an intelligent discussion on frequency selection here in this "discussion" forum. Thank you for your excellent response and nice job on the feed setup !

DJ

Offline terrysb

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 04:45:49 PM »
Based on traffic volume, other configurations that would work on their own:

1) Departure: 126.650, 125.050
2) Approach (initial): 126.100, 124.650, 120.450
3) Approach (final): 125.800, 134.200, 128.800 (status?)
4) Approach (high): 125.650, 118.675, 123.825

My personal preference would be option 2) the initial arrival sectors, option 4

So, right now your option 2 (plus the two tower frequencies) is being scanned.