Author Topic: JFK Ground/Tower  (Read 15506 times)

Offline JetScan1

JFK Ground/Tower
« on: November 15, 2004, 03:26:22 PM »
JFK Ground/Tower seems to be one of the most popular feeds here. I was listening to it recently and noticed that ground control and clearance delivery is very busy and often blocks out a lot of the tower transmissions. Wouldn't it be better just to monitor the tower frequencies only ? It's nice having ground as well but when it's busy you are missing a lot of what's on Tower, which is far more interesting. You're going to hear all the same aircraft anyway, scanning to many frequencies just ruins it. I'm curious what the people who actually listen to this feed think.

DJ

Offline PHL Approach

JFK Ground/Tower
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 03:57:47 PM »
I have always noticed you get alot of clearance transmissions especially when they are going out to LAS, you get to hear the whole thing up to the arrival (Luxor2)  :wink: . Ground is pretty fun especially when the low vis and bad weather moves it, Ground is where you'll hear the drama. But do agree, I think the two kennedy tower freqs should have thier own feed. Kinda how Dave has Boston setup.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
JFK Ground/Tower
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 05:24:58 PM »
It's a matter of resources...we don't have an additional receiver there.  But if you'd like to band together with other interested folks to come up with a donation to purchase an additional receiver and sound card, please feel free to do so and we can try to make it happen.

It would cost about $90 to do it all.

Dave

Offline JetScan1

JFK Ground/Tower
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 06:44:23 PM »
It's a matter of resources...we don't have an additional receiver there.

Yes I understand that, but while you have only the one radio wouldn't it be better to just monitor Tower only ?

DJ

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
JFK Ground/Tower
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 06:45:43 PM »
Quote from: JetScan1
It's a matter of resources...we don't have an additional receiver there.

Yes I understand that, but while you have only the one radio wouldn't it be better to just monitor Tower only ?

DJ

We did that once, and the overwhelming opinion was that people wanted to hear both.  And I like both, too.  Sure, I'd love to have them separated, but it just isn't in the cards right now unless we can get some more equipment.

Dave

Offline JetScan1

JFK Ground/Tower
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 06:48:32 PM »
dave,

I'd be happy to donate $90, but not for another radio to monitor ground/clearance. How does this sound ? I'll send you $90 right now if you only scan the tower frequencies on this radio, but use the money for another radio to split up some of the approach/departure frequencies ? If someone else really wants ground/clearance then they can pay for it.

DJ

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
JFK Ground/Tower
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 07:04:51 PM »
Quote from: JetScan1
dave,

I'd be happy to donate $90, but not for another radio to monitor ground/clearance. How does this sound ? I'll send you $90 right now if you only scan the tower frequencies on this radio, but use the money for another radio to split up some of the approach/departure frequencies ? If someone else really wants ground/clearance then they can pay for it.

DJ

I'll start a thread on jfktower.com...that's where most of the listeners come from.  Let me see what other folks think and perhaps we can get some of them to donate and we'll make everyone happy.  I am not sure if we can add 2 more scanners, though, due to the number of sound cards already in the system.  I'm not sure how many more we can add.  I'll take a look and see what's possible, no promises.

Another option is to go back and find one of the folks who previously offered to sponsor feeds...there was one not far away from the field...perhaps he would be willing to feed Tower separately.

Anyway, I'dd do a little research as I'm able this week and we'l see what we can do.

-Dave

Offline Lexxx

• http://www.ykf.ca
JFK Ground/Tower
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 11:56:44 AM »
 I am not sure if we can add 2 more scanners, though, due to the number of sound cards already in the system.  I'm not sure how many more we can add.  I'll take a look and see what's possible, no promises.

-Dave

Hello

I'm thinking of adding live ATC to a simple web site I have dealing with expansion construction at the local airport. (cykf)

I've done some preliminary stuff, got a server up and running, port forwarded etc. etc and broadcast my MP3 player to test. Don't have a scanner yet, so question one is, what do you recommend in the way of a scanner? Question 2, I wanted to split up frequencies (more than one scanner I presume), so, I see you refer to adding additional soundcards to one computer. Is this what you meant. Don't they conflict with each other?

Any help is appreciated. Looking for the most convienient way to separate Tower and the overlaying IFR sector servicing the airport

Thanks