Author Topic: Job Description Re: Air Traffic Control.  (Read 23785 times)

Offline Rob

Job Description Re: Air Traffic Control.
« on: February 21, 2005, 05:30:05 PM »
Hi, I once went on a week camp to and english RAF base ( Raf Kinloss) and here i done some work experience as air traffic control and i was wondering if anybody knew of any book or website or  resouses to help me lean about my (Hopefully) future job.
It would Be Much apreciated
Thank you
Robert Young

Offline CntrllrATC

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 01:25:36 AM »
Hi Rob,
Here is a link to the FAA publications here in the USA. The 7110.65 is our bible for ATC. Hope this helps.

Rob
BDR Tower Manager

Offline Rob

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 04:53:17 AM »
Sorry Thank you for the help however i live in england is that the same and you did not send me the link. Never mind Could you please post the note again thank you.
Rob

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 06:57:06 AM »
Hey Rob (CntrllrATC) add me to your AIM list.  I changed my screen name to HPNPilot1200.

I'm currently interested in the field and have visited various facilities.

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 11:38:49 AM »
would love to become a controller however im over the cutoff age allowed to do so

Offline mattkbdl

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 07:32:02 PM »
what do you think the best schools in the U.S. are for air traffic control?

Offline AmericaWestCMH

• http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kcmh2.m3u
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 09:05:10 PM »
Quote from: mattkbdl
what do you think the best schools in the U.S. are for air traffic control?

Community College of Beaver County, hands down.  I start in June, am really looking foward to it.

EDIT: To throw in a bit more about CCBC:

- only 20 new students every semester.  Unfortunately, this means a 1+ year waiting list.
- the only student-run control tower in the country.  No tower sims here, just the real McCoy.  
- require a private pilot certificate.  Makes one a more well-rounded controller if they're familiar with both sides of the fence
- internships.  I hear CCBC can get an internship just about anywhere.  A friend of mine who is currently attending interned at CMH tower over winter break.
- word-of-mouth.  I've heard nothing but good things about CCBC, and that graduates are at the top of the game when they get to the FAA Academy.
- cost.  It's a community college, so it isn't terribly expensive.  Not the cheapest by any means, but the cost of living out here is low, also.

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 12:19:38 AM »
I have to give a shout out to mine, Purdue...good ATC school.  To be quite honest, U of North Dakota, U of Alaska Anchorage and Emery Riddle have much better and realistic sims.  On the other hand, Purdue has some of the top faculty in the country when it comes to aviation (not that the others mentioned don't).  All the professors and staff are incredibly helpful and devoted to each student's education.  The aviation class sizes are small, which promotes discussion and eases making friends in the same program.  

Also, with Purdue, you get a Bachelor's in Aviation Administration, which qualifies you for many other jobs in the industry should ATC not work out for you.  Your chances of advancing to a supervisory position within ATC are also greater with a Bachelor's as opposed to an associates.

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 09:14:42 AM »
Community College of Beaver County is indeed one of the best schools in the country, looks like I'll be starting up in June 2006. Riddle is overrated, UND has a great program but they are overrated along with Riddle.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 09:40:44 AM »
I have to aggree with Ed on this one.  I would love to go to Riddle but I think it is overated as well.  Even if they have better sims, if you go to other places, (Aviation Colleges not ATC's) I am considering Jacksonville or Ohio State.  Those are some great schools where it is more personallized.

Offline mattkbdl

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 11:15:40 AM »
I go to Daniel Webster College and we just got a new tower sim with something like a 270 degree field of view.  For the pilots out there we have a new turbine sim modeled after the 737NG series.  The school is great because of the small size and small class sizes.

Offline AmericaWestCMH

• http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kcmh2.m3u
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 11:45:15 AM »
Riddle is also ridiculously expensive.

For those that didn't know already, there are only 13 CTI schools:

http://www.atccti.com/page4.html

Offline CntrllrATC

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 06:57:43 PM »
Sorry about forgetting the link. This is for the U.S.

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/

Rob

Offline agapilot

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 09:35:09 PM »
For those who think they are too old for the FAA controller, check into private controller ( contract towers). My mother is a retired faa controler who had to move due to her tower went contract.
I never went to the school for air traffic college, but did attend the FAA mike moroney center for training which i did washout. I can imagine the college helps, the school will have you literally eat sleeping, dreaming\nightmares of greenstrip marking and moving. Lol
Now I am just a pilot!