Author Topic: Just Noticing  (Read 8455 times)

Offline MIAMIATC

Just Noticing
« on: September 18, 2005, 02:38:18 PM »
Have noticed that Cleveland Center is using 4 frequencies on HIGH LEVEL traff in their northeastern most area. Have heard 120.625 and 119.375 are both operating super high or 120.625 is super and 119.375 is ultra high as well as the 2 usual regular high sectors of 118.625 and 128.025

Offline Jonathan_tcu

Just Noticing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 06:51:56 PM »
Could more frequent frequency coupling/combining more often mean downsizing? What if a sector decided to keep a 3rd frequency coupled/combined permanently, would that mean downsizing?

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
downsizing
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 07:02:29 PM »
I would think that if controllers demonstrated to management that they could work two (or more) positions combined-up on a regular basis, it would be very hard for management to justify keeping them split.  Let's not forget, managers typically have nothing better to do than sit in their office and think about new ways to save money.

Most facilities in the US are staffed according to how many positions they have.  If the positions diminish, so does the staff.

Offline Jonathan_tcu

Just Noticing
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 07:14:47 PM »
Ok, that makes complete sense.  I keep asking myself, where I live where transmissions amongst controllers and pilots are virtually back to back on Sundays, from say 2 to 6 pm where regular weekday aircrafts travel their regular routes, how the pilots can put up with conversations on adjacent freq's that don't pertain to them.  This is here in northern Ontario on 128.3, 133.72, 135.5 and 127.25

I've also been asking myself the voices I hear on our freq's during peak periods 128.3 and 133.72 if those voices disappear for a couple of hours and come back, are they on a break AND occasionally working the other sectors too? If so, since I hear the same voices on the weekends, is there really a daytime off peak downsizing ?

Offline digger

Just Noticing
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 09:45:56 PM »
I would think that if controllers demonstrated to management that they could work two (or more) positions combined-up on a regular basis, it would be very hard for management to justify keeping them split.

I know what you're saying, but I'd be willing to bet you that the average controller would express it the other way around. Management says to combine the positions until it's proven that the workload is beyond the ability of one controller to handle it.

Offline Jonathan_tcu

Just Noticing
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 09:50:01 PM »
Ok.  That's what I thought.  The invidial controllers then have their own choice in whether or not to couple up frequencies, even though it's on a regular basis then.  Is it at all possible that if traffic IS light that when a controller states "contact XX center on XX frequency..good day", that HE would cover that hand off on another radio?  

And how about radar screens? I've had a lot of response that flight plan strips are moved from one data board to another when splitting freq's or combining them.  Are there duplicate radar screens during freq splits?

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Just Noticing
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 10:18:50 PM »
Quote from: Jonathan_tcu
Is it at all possible that if traffic IS light that when a controller states "contact XX center on XX frequency..good day", that HE would cover that hand off on another radio?  

If one controller were working several frequencies and he wanted to switch an aircraft from one freq to another he would more likely say something like "...change to my frequency one two eight point seven."

Quote from: Jonathan_tcu
And how about radar screens? I've had a lot of response that flight plan strips are moved from one data board to another when splitting freq's or combining them.  Are there duplicate radar screens during freq splits?

Most radar displays can be configured for any sector in the facility's airspace.  The real difficult part of combining sectors is configuring the radar so that the tracks associate to the right terminal control position.  In other words, you wouldn't want an empty scope having ownership over live tracks.

Offline JetScan1

Just Noticing
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 08:55:30 PM »
NY,

Have noticed that Cleveland Center is using 4 frequencies on HIGH LEVEL traff in their northeastern most area. Have heard 120.625 and 119.375 are both operating super high or 120.625 is super and 119.375 is ultra high as well as the 2 usual regular high sectors of 118.625 and 128.025

Thanks for the update, first time I've heard of them using 4 sectors in that area. In the past I noticed they would use 128.025 (north) and 118.625 (south) FL280 to FL350, and 120.625 (north/south) FL360 and above. Any idea how it's split now ? I guess with all these RJ's flying around now they are having to triple stack sectors in more areas of high level airspace ?

DJ

Offline MIAMIATC

Just Noticing
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 11:38:11 AM »
from what i am gatehering from listening as of late 128.025/119.375 are split and 118.625/120.625 is split in the soutern part covering all the metro nyc departure routes into cleveland while the 119.375/128.025 covers all the new england departures into cleveland center