Author Topic: KIAH/KHOU feeds  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Silvercrystal77

KIAH/KHOU feeds
« on: January 24, 2015, 09:47:58 PM »
I've figured out that the only way I can somewhat listen to both sides of communications at KHOU is to listen to KHOU feed on my tablet and KIAH APPROACH on my phone at the same time.  But that's only if the HOU feed is on the corresponding frequency.  I can only hear the tower on the HOU approach but the IAH approach feed for some reason picks up HOU tower and aircraft on apoach to HOU.  It's kind of weird tor hear my phone answer my tablet and vice versa......if that makes any sense... 

Does anyone know why that is?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: KIAH/KHOU feeds
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 12:40:49 PM »
Each feed has only certain frequencies covered at a particular receiver location.  In a metro area like Houston, not all ATC transmitter locations are in one location.  KHOU only has the Final Approach sector for HOU available since the transmitter is close by...aircraft transitioning through other ATC airspace are covered on other frequencies whose transmitters live closer to IAH.

That will explain what you are experiencing - it's the nature of the beast.  And when they combine frequencies on the overnight shift it can change.  Each ATC facility has different SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) that affect this.

Hope this helps.