airtraffic

Author Topic: KLAS - Las Vegas, NV now live  (Read 34117 times)

Offline Theo03

Re: KLAS - Las Vegas, NV now live
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 08:31:20 AM »
Hello Duckman

If you start this feed, you wil be my hero..   :-D

grtz
Theo

Offline janetva.net

• janetva.net
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 06:31:46 PM »
Some feed have to many freq in use, so you can hardly follow what they are talking.

Yea personally I would like a tower/app split instead of using your new scanner for ramp/airline ops.

I also agree with this line of thinking. Having too many busy frequencies on ONE radio makes it very difficult to follow what is going on. It's far better to concentrate on one area/sector rather than trying to scan everything at once when only one radio is available. This applies to more than a few feeds here, not just KLAS. DJ

Ok like I said in my last post I will be setting up split Freqs however this will take some time, I am running some tests on it right now with two PCs and I am working on upgrading one PC so it can run both scanners at the same time

The only problem I am having is with the antenna if I split coax for both scanners I loose to much dbs so it looks like I will have to put up another ANT

Antennas are cheap (I make my own) however coax is not ! if anyone has some spare coax of any kind and would like to donate please let me know :-) I would need about 75 ft

Here would be the split all APP/DEP freqs on one and both RWY 19/25  TWR freqs on the other

I will keep this tread posted of my progress

« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 06:36:03 PM by janetva.net »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007, 10:43:15 PM »
For those who are so very vocal about splitting frequencies, which we all agree is desirable, I suggest contacting the feeder and offering some assistance to help make it happen.  Talk is cheap.

The feeders are kind enough to provide their location, time, and resources...to expect each of them to jump up and spend what amounts to a fair amount of money is more than a bit unreasonable.

So...instead of the criticism, if you like a particular feed, band together and help the feeder out.  It's great to get the comments...but every time a great site comes up it seems we get this same spin every time.  Pointing out the obvious gets old - actually do something instead!

LiveATC does do a fair amount of funding for feeds in high traffic areas (primarily Class B and busier Class C airports) - both in the form of sending spare equipment and/or providing our own Linux-based audio server(s) and a variety of receiving equipment.  However, we can only do so much. 

This is a great community - let's support the feeders when they show up here on the forums - and help them make their feeds better in tangible ways that make a difference.  Send an extra scanner, an extra computer, antenna, whatever is needed.  There is a lot of underused and/or spare stuff out there.

-dave

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 12:59:02 AM »
Ok like I said in my last post I will be setting up split Freqs however this will take some time

Just to be clear I wasn't suggesting that you go out and put up more feeds. My point was a more logical frequency selection on the ONE radio that you currently have running. As you have it now why not just scan Tower or Approach, but not both at the same time ? The radio is currently saturated with so many busy frequencies it's impossible to listen to. Obviously more feeds would be better and of course it takes a lot of effort and resources to set up multiple feeds and I would never suggest to anyone to do that unless I was willing to help out. The number of feeds at any one location will always be up to the ability of the volunteer operator. But what I don't understand is this mentality of loading up a single radio with so many frequencies it becomes impossible to listen to, to me it just seems like a waste of all the effort the person put into setting up the single feed in the first place. I believe this was the real point that was being made when I quoted those other posts. DJ

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 06:26:12 AM »
My post was not meant to polarize people...we all want the same thing - good quality feeds.  The issue is that there are some listeners who like to follow every nuance of a single position (Tower, etc.) and others who like the variety.  It only becomes an issue for the really busy airports.  With the less busier airports the clear answer is to scan multiple frequencies at once...you don't miss much. 

When a new feeder comes online, it's typically with a single scanner.  We're happy to have the feeder do what he likes, but it seems switching from Tower one day to Approach another day provides for a very confusing user experience.  Perhaps when we have the ability for feeders to change the feed listing themselves (not anytime soon), then this could make sense.  But it is a much cleaner experience seeing a feed listed with the exact frequencies that are being scanned.

For any feeder close enough to Class B airports we are committed to helping get multiple receivers online and each on a separate stream. 

So we don't need the obvious pointed out - we get it and we do monitor every new feed that comes in.  None of this happens overnight, so welcome the new feeds and trust that things always improve.  But I don't want new feeders to get scared away by all the negative criticism - it doesn't help the situation at all.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 07:39:30 AM »
But I don't want new feeders to get scared away by all the negative criticism - it doesn't help the situation at all.

I apologize for sounding critical, that wasn't my intent at all, I was just trying to provide honest feedback on frequency selection. Sorry.

Perhaps when we have the ability for feeders to change the feed listing themselves (not anytime soon), then this could make sense.

This would be the ultimate solution. I'd certainly contribute funds to help out anyone that wanted to try and get that working. DJ   

Offline janetva.net

• janetva.net
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 12:54:16 AM »
But I don't want new feeders to get scared away by all the negative criticism - it doesn't help the situation at all.

I apologize for sounding critical, that wasn't my intent at all, I was just trying to provide honest feedback on frequency selection. Sorry.

Apology accepted Thank you :-)

And on that note I deleted my previous post.....What better way to end a thread  :-D

Well with the winds back in my sail again and Dave's kind words of motivation I am ready to rock & roll on this..... feeds should be up in a few weeks with Dave's approval of course.

Here is the update on the freq split
I built two new antennas today and I am ready to put them on the roof however I come home to late from work so the only time I have is on the weekends and I still need to upgrade my PC to run 2 scanners at the same time 

BTW I found no difference between TV coax & good RG8  for DB loss at Air band VHF
However using a splitter was out the question hence the two antennas

I could go on and on about this but it would go beyond the scope of this thread so I will start another one soon about this subject

Thanks again for your support and I hope you all have enjoyed listening to the Las Vegas McCarran Airport as much I do.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:05:27 AM by janetva.net »

Offline Jason E.

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008, 01:06:38 AM »
Im interested, My house is like 5 miles if that from KLAS, traffic flys over my house literally at 2000 ft. I would love to help with the feed, if someone could tell me te cost and how to set this up I could maybe give a feed of ground and tower? Cost effective of course at 15 years old money doesnt come around easily. I would need help on what to buy some help on putting it up.... not sure if my dad will let me put massive Antennas on the roof, but if there a relative size there is a great possibility that I would be able to do it. My contact options excluding the threads are below. If you can't contact me with all that shame on you. COME FLY WITH ME ON VATSIM ILL BE CONTROLLING KABE!!!!

EMAIL:slayer51493@aol.com
EMAIL:Jason@nyartcc.org
YAHOO:declethor@yahoo.com
AIM:slayer51493@aol.com
Myspace:www.myspace.com/declethor