airtraffic

Author Topic: KLAX on Easterly Ops right now, 12/6/07  (Read 4052 times)

Offline athaker

KLAX on Easterly Ops right now, 12/6/07
« on: December 07, 2007, 12:36:52 AM »
Runway 6s and 7s active.

Saw it with my own eyes.  Take a listen.

Or anyone who needs a night snack go grab some In N' Out: You know which location :-)

On a different note- you know guys, despite everything i've done to this damn feed, one of the two freqs. still has crazy static.  It bothers me, cuz i'm only 6 miles away and pretty high up. Screw it.  I'm gonna get an even taller mast for the antenna and try brute force to clean it up. 

With all this electromagnetic mush in LA, everyone of us is going to get some sort of cancer, let's face it. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 12:46:29 AM by athaker »

Offline KB6HLM

• KB6HLM
Re: KLAX on Easterly Ops right now, 12/6/07
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 02:43:27 AM »
The static may come in even worse with a taller mast but its worth a shot !!

Since you seem to enjoy the hobby :-D why not look into getting a Yagi antenna ? IE: this will not only give you more db gain but will allow you to direct the antenna right at the airport and null out a lot of that noise !

You may also try adding a Notch Filter (mine is set to 6k) however a lower notch will degrade the audio but may cut out the noise one other thing is to try using a IF shift do to the noise may not even be on that frequency but in the IF strips in the radio itself or coming from something near by , a Noise Blanker may help as well

Now if you had a Band Scope and or Noise Tracer would help track down the noise, but I wont go there as this would go outside the scope (no pun) of this thread !

Anyway I think your feed sounds fine the way it is (remember you don't get payed for it) so thanks for providing a free radio feed   :-D

These are only a few suggestions that you may or can not afford to do but what ever you decide its up to you (its your hobby) we just listen in  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Thanks for sharing your part of the world with all of us,
Glenn KB6HLM Las Vegas, NV

I felt the need to jump back in here after listening to your feed tonight I am not sure what "crazy static" your referring to? the only thing I've noticed is that the towers sound a bit weak but most of the planes sound fine, if thats the case? then all you need is a bit more db gain and you bet ya raising the ANT may help

One other thing I wanted to comment on is that most scanners have a weak receive IE:Poor S/N (signal to noise ratio) and this would explain why you are having some trouble getting the tower over the /N (BTW I am not using a scanner) and it took a lot of time and $$$ to get good signal strengths from the LAS towers (so I feel your pain) 

Take Care

Would you like to have a QSO on voice? please join me on

The US Amateur Radio Bands 10m to 80m 2m 1.25m 70cm all modes
Rig-Kenwood 440SAT
Antenna ALPHA DELTA DX-LB Plus Height 45ft Above Ground
Power-850 Watts
Live streaming video (when available) www.kb6hlm.ww.com

« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 04:42:41 AM by KB6HLM »

Offline athaker

Re: KLAX on Easterly Ops right now, 12/6/07
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 02:01:38 PM »
Wow...thanks a lot Glenn.  That's an excellent post.  And thanks for the compliments.  Yea I've gotten the inline filters and whatnot, and its that south side tower signal I really want to clean up a little bit, but even moreso, I'd like to be able to get a good KLAX ground feed also. 

I'll do a little experimenting.  I know that last time I got a longer mast the feed sounded much better, so Home Depot it is.