Author Topic: KORL  (Read 12527 times)

Offline Vey

KORL
« on: September 25, 2006, 11:07:42 AM »
I am new to this, so maybe it is something I am doing wrong.
I seem to have a connection working to http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/korl , but I don't hear any traffic. This is a busy GA airport.

I someone could try this, I would appreciate it.

Offline Scorpio

Re: KORL
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 02:06:56 PM »
KORL is Orlando Executive in FLORIDA.  It is not in GA.  Have listened to Live ATC for 5 minutes and heard nothing.

Offline Vey

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 02:42:20 PM »
Sorry. I meant GA = General Aviation. I tried listening for 20 minutes and heard nothing.

Offline Alan S.

• Flying/Instructing as much as possible!!!
    • A&N Org Central
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 04:08:04 PM »
I am hearing a lot of traffic :?

Offline Vey

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 05:24:53 PM »
I don't understand it.
I can hear others just fine.

Offline Alan S.

• Flying/Instructing as much as possible!!!
    • A&N Org Central
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 07:03:37 PM »
I use real player for listening to all the feeds and have not had any problems to date.

Offline Vey

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 02:37:45 PM »
It has to be the codec the feeder is using. I tried Real, I tried FreeAmp, I started with WMP 9 and no joy. I can hear other MP3 files just fine.

I downloaded a file from the archive and then one I could hear to compare them. EncSpot (an MP3 file analyzer) says that the one I can hear was encoded by Freuhoffer (please don't make me spell that) and the one from KORL was encoded with Xing(old). I busted my behind trying to find an Xing decoder that the feed and file liked, but couldn't. Real bought Xing years ago. I tried a bunch of old codecs from ~1999.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 03:23:17 PM »
It has to be the codec the feeder is using. I tried Real, I tried FreeAmp, I started with WMP 9 and no joy. I can hear other MP3 files just fine.

I downloaded a file from the archive and then one I could hear to compare them. EncSpot (an MP3 file analyzer) says that the one I can hear was encoded by Freuhoffer (please don't make me spell that) and the one from KORL was encoded with Xing(old). I busted my behind trying to find an Xing decoder that the feed and file liked, but couldn't. Real bought Xing years ago. I tried a bunch of old codecs from ~1999.

Have you tried Winamp?  This is really the first report of anyone having this kind of issue.

Dave

Offline Vey

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 05:37:09 PM »
Okay, I tried WinAmp. Same as all the others. It is so strange that I never get an error message, the players play the file just fine, but there are no sounds there. Just silence. No one has this trouble with KORL except Scorpio?

I have an XP machine I can try in the next room, but my wife has been sick for the last few days and I haven't been able to pry the mouse out of her fingers. Sadly, by the time she goes to sleep, the ATC at KORL has also.

Offline Scorpio

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 06:50:10 AM »
Located in range of KORL and listened to the tower (118.7 Mhz) on my scanner while simultaneously listening to LiveATC on the net.  Heard  KORL tower traffic on scanner but nothing on LiveATC - using WinAmp - all other LiveATC tried is OK.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 06:56:58 AM »
Located in range of KORL and listened to the tower (118.7 Mhz) on my scanner while simultaneously listening to LiveATC on the net.  Heard  KORL tower traffic on scanner but nothing on LiveATC - using WinAmp - all other LiveATC tried is OK.

We'll try to contact the feeder and see what's up.

Dave

Offline Scorpio

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 08:44:24 AM »
There may be some confusion - KMCO / KORL are listed together on Class B feeds.  In reality - there is only KMCO being broadcast on the Class B feed.  The KORL feed is not under Class B but is listed under Class D.   If you listen to the KMCO / KORL feed in Class B, there is a lot of traffic.  The KORL Class D feed has none.

Offline Vey

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 02:35:31 PM »
Thanks Scorpio! I tried the XP machine with WMP and Real and no help with either of them.

I was under the impression that ORL ATC operated from 0700-1900.  From what I read, MCO takes over their ATC duties from 1900-0700? Is that right? So maybe that is why they had MCO/ORL listed together.

I guess I should have mentioned the link was on the Class D page, but I thought that it would be easier for people if I just put the link in the first message.

Offline Scorpio

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 03:03:43 PM »
Vey - Attendance at KORL is continuous per
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KORL  see the site for AP details. 

Offline Vey

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 08:03:55 PM »
Well, I don't don't know what "attendence continous" means, but that cite does mention this when it comes to comms:
EXECUTIVE GROUND:    121.4 239.0 [0600-2300]
EXECUTIVE TOWER:    118.7 239.0 [0600-2300]

I ain't no expert, but that does seem like comms are shut down between 11 pm and 6 am.

I guess the feeder pooped out on us since it is now listed as inop on the website. Too bad.