Author Topic: KPBI feed  (Read 8868 times)

Offline 71sbeetle

• Garey T. Martin Photography
KPBI feed
« on: July 09, 2008, 11:49:38 PM »
The KPBI feed is moving ! I will not be at the new location until the first week of August, but I was able to get clear reception (better than the current feed) from my handheld Icom IC-A22, and I am thinking of getting the KB9VBR J-Pole http://jpole-antenna.com/products.php#airband so I suppose I should be fine

Also something I am looking into is having several receivers, so the frequencies are not all tied up, here are the frequencies I currently have:

Palm Beach Clearance: 121.60
Palm Beach Ground: 121.90
Palm Beach Tower: 119.10/118.75
Palm Beach Approach: 124.60/125.20
Palm Beach Departure: 127.35/128.30
Miami Center: 132.15/133.40/135.17
(Emergency: 121.50)

Here is what I plan on getting:
KPBI feed #1: Palm Beach Tower: 119.10/118.75
KPBI feed #2: Palm Beach Approach: 124.60
KPBI feed #3: Palm Beach Approach: 125.20
KPBI feed #4: Palm Beach Final Approach: 125.00
KPBI feed #5: Palm Beach Departure: 127.35/128.30
optional feed #1: MIA Center 132.15
optional feed #2: MIA Center 133.40
optional feed #3: MIA Center 135.17/132.45

Now I have a few questions, I am currently using a Pro-2053 receiver, is it good enough ? Also is there another low cost receiver you would recommend ? Since I plan on having 5-8 receivers, I don't want to go broke on them :)
Other question will it be OK for me to use one antenna (posted above) for all the receivers ?
I will have a computer dedicated for the feeds and my weather station, that should be connected 24/7, I guess I would have to find a motherboard that can handle 5-8 sound cards ? or is there another way of doing it ? Sorry for the stupid questions :)

Offline 71sbeetle

Re: KPBI feed
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 11:51:11 PM »
oops I meant to post that in the feeders forum  :roll:

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 02:16:15 PM »
The KPBI feed is moving ! I will not be at the new location until the first week of August, but I was able to get clear reception (better than the current feed) from my handheld Icom IC-A22, and I am thinking of getting the KB9VBR J-Pole http://jpole-antenna.com/products.php#airband so I suppose I should be fine

Now I have a few questions, I am currently using a Pro-2053 receiver, is it good enough ? Also is there another low cost receiver you would recommend ? Since I plan on having 5-8 receivers, I don't want to go broke on them :)
Other question will it be OK for me to use one antenna (posted above) for all the receivers ?
I will have a computer dedicated for the feeds and my weather station, that should be connected 24/7, I guess I would have to find a motherboard that can handle 5-8 sound cards ? or is there another way of doing it ? Sorry for the stupid questions :)

Thats awesome, cant wait to hear the new stream!

I can try to answer some of your questions. The Jpole antenna should be enough, thats what I use and it hasn't failed me yet.

In regards to all those feeds, you might want to consider having them rotate between a couple of frequencies. For example, my ground feed has ground and delivery on it.

The Pro-2053 should be fine. If you want another scanner, you might want to check on ebay. You can find cheap scanners from radioshack and uniden.

You can use one antenna for the scanners, you just might need to buy an amplifier from radioshack.

The computer should be on 24/7, unless you dont want it to feed. If you have a problem leaving it on always, you can get a program that turns it on and off automatically at a specified time. For example, you can make the computer go to sleep from 2am-6am when the listeners are sleeping. You would need a new audio card, im not sure about motherboard. You can also use a usb adapter, im not sure how that will work out though.

Cant wait to see you up and running :)

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 02:18:28 PM »
By the way, your photography is awesome. Do you go spotting frequently?

You can also make your own Jpole, its pretty simple really.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 02:20:22 PM by Lezam »

Offline 71sbeetle

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
hi !
thanks :) I don't really go spotting much, although I am at the airport pretty much every day
I currently have an antenna I had bought on eBay that is supposed to be tuned for airband but I get a lot of FM radio static in it ..... I also live in an apt complex so that doesn't help. I am moving to a house in the suburbs :) the feed is currently down to just a few frequencies, twr and appch for pbi only. I will actually have to take it down in a day or two till I am moved into the new house. Oh and my feeding computer has always been on 24/7 :)