Author Topic: KRWI Feed  (Read 10685 times)

Offline AeroBill

KRWI Feed
« on: March 09, 2014, 07:03:29 PM »
Want to thank the new feed provider for KRWI for including an ARTCC frequency along with the airport ones. As a suggestion,
we could cover more of the ARTCC freqs if providers for airports would include at least one ARTCC frequency, high or
low.  A number do now, but others have just the airport tower, ground, or approach. That's OK, but we still have a lot of
ARTCC frequencies not yet covered. This would help those of us who enjoy flight tracking to fill in frequency gaps in the flights.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: KRWI Feed
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 11:13:40 AM »
Want to thank the new feed provider for KRWI for including an ARTCC frequency along with the airport ones. As a suggestion,
we could cover more of the ARTCC freqs if providers for airports would include at least one ARTCC frequency, high or
low.  A number do now, but others have just the airport tower, ground, or approach. That's OK, but we still have a lot of
ARTCC frequencies not yet covered. This would help those of us who enjoy flight tracking to fill in frequency gaps in the flights.

I evaluate every feed that comes through our system - I pay close attention to:

- Quality of the feed.  We try really hard to get good quality feeds but sometimes there are compromises.
- Appropriate frequency load (this is also a balancing act)
- Whether the feed receiver is near any kind of RCO or RCAG that we don't cover already.

For single-receiver feeds that already cover Ground/Tower/Approach in busy airspace it's usually a very bad idea to add a Center frequency into this mix, unless it is a Low sector without much activity except discrete activity related to that airport.  Even in that case it usually fails unless there is not a lot of transit traffic on that Center sector.

So trust that a lot is going on to get additional Center sectors wherever it makes sense.  We have also deployed numerous receivers and various RF equipment to enhance certain receiver locations so we can add things like additional (split up) coverage as well as Center/en route.

So thanks for the suggestion but we have been doing this for quite some time.

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »
I agree with Dave, and in my own opinion most center frequencies are not worth covering, even with a dedicated receiver and feed, unless you can pick up the controller side of the conversations, which is often a challenge.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 02:36:11 PM »
I agree with Dave, and in my own opinion most center frequencies are not worth covering, even with a dedicated receiver and feed, unless you can pick up the controller side of the conversations, which is often a challenge.

We try to avoid feeds like this - where we can't hear the ground side.  There are a few exceptions on the network, and they are there for a variety of reasons that aren't important.  But they are the exception rather than the rule and they are only put into the network for special cases.