Author Topic: KSMX - Santa Maria Airport Broadcasting on AM  (Read 6561 times)

Offline coastflyfan

KSMX - Santa Maria Airport Broadcasting on AM
« on: January 26, 2015, 02:42:34 PM »
The Santa Maria Airport (KSMX) in California just started broadcasting their tower frequency on an AM radio station, pretty cool! The only bad part, sometimes it is hard to decipher the communications. Nonetheless, this is something I will definitely be enjoying. If only someone on here who lives in this area could start up a feed  :-D I wish I could, but I can't :-(

**Hopefully I've posted this in the correct area of the forum

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: KSMX - Santa Maria Airport Broadcasting on AM
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 01:26:36 PM »
We will definitely keep an eye out for a feed provider near KSMX.  The reason you are experiencing poor reception could be due to a couple different factors.  If you can make a recording, PM it to me and I can tell you what's wrong.

Offline coastflyfan

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:49:21 PM »
Ok cool; the next time I'm out there, I'll make a recording using my iPod. Yeah what is weird is that it sounds a little better once I turn my car off (a buzzing interference will stop) but still, some transmissions from aircraft(s) to towers can be a little scruffy sounding. Thanks!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 01:39:47 AM »
Ok cool; the next time I'm out there, I'll make a recording using my iPod. Yeah what is weird is that it sounds a little better once I turn my car off (a buzzing interference will stop) but still, some transmissions from aircraft(s) to towers can be a little scruffy sounding. Thanks!

Now that you describe those symptoms we may not need the recording.  Your spark plug wires (if you have that noise I assume you don't have a diesel car) are causing that noise (the buzzing).  As far as the transmissions sounding "scruffy," that sounds more like spotty reception at the receiver they are using to pick up the transmissions.  This is likely due to an inadequate or indoor antenna being used at their receiver location.

Offline coastflyfan

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 03:49:42 PM »
Makes sense. Yes, I've got a regular vehicle, no diesel. Its weird, I just was there today for a short time and the buzzing was not there even with my car on. Its just sporadic I guess. That's what I was thinking as well in regards to the "scruffy" transmissions. Some are quite clear and some aren't. I was perhaps thinking it might also have something to do with the pilots radio, but if that were the case, perhaps ATC would also hear the scruffiness I'd hear as well.