Author Topic: LETS ALL START A NEW TOPIC!!!!  (Read 16255 times)

Offline speedotann

LETS ALL START A NEW TOPIC!!!!
« on: March 04, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »
COME ON GUYS, WHO'S WITH ME, WHO'S COMIN WITH ME MANNN?

B

Offline rekno13

Re: LETS ALL START A NEW TOPIC!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:43:27 AM »
OH! New TOPIC! YES! Oh boy, what should we talk about. MMMMM....

Best way to watch a plane land. Right on the line with the approach or off a bit?

Personally I like being right under, nothing like the rush of engines screaming over your head.

Offline Robert Larson

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 07:26:33 AM »
Tried to have a picnic at the end of 5L at RDU (outside the fence), but the airport security chased me off and said I couldn't be there. Seemed like just the side of a public road to me, but didn't want to debate it with the nice armed man.  :lol:  Anyway, I thought that was the best spot. You could see Goodyear printed on the tires as they went overhead about 50 feet. They have an observation deck half way down the runway but you touchdowns are blocked by trees or hangars, so it's really only good for watching takeoffs as the jets lift off right in front of the stand. They also play the ATC channels on speakers overhead so it's a lot of fun.

Offline Dan CZQM

• Trip Website
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 07:38:04 AM »
I use to go "parking" at the landing end or RWY 11 at CYQM.  It was great as I would drive down the road and park next to one of the landing light posts.  As I did not have a scanner then, I would have to rely on the lights coming on to give me a heads up that an aircraft was coming in.
It's amazing how much light those landing lights would shine in the car.  The shy girls would cover up real fast  :evil:

I miss those days!!!

Dan

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 08:34:36 AM »
At KDTW, there is a parking structure at the South Terminal. Go all the way to the top. On one side, you get a great view of the gate area, and the other affords a commanding view of 3L/21R and 3R/21L action. Great place to take the scanner! They chase you away if you are on any of the perimeter roads, so the parking structure is the best place to go! You pay by the hour to watch airplanes, but they can't chase you away!  :wink:

Below is the Jepp for KDTW.

But at the same time, I agree with rekno13, best place to be is right under!  8-)

Best place in the world to watch airplanes is the beach at Philipsburg / St. Maarten - Princess Juliana (SXM / TNCM). See Below!  :-o

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:00:44 AM by joeyb747 »

Offline speedotann

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 10:46:01 AM »
Ummmmmmm.....  I am gonna go to KLAX (Imperial Hill)  and watch the bad boys on the South Side!! Thanks guys!!

B

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
Some of the best airplane watching was at the now-closed Hong Kong Kai Tak.  :-o

I have linked to a couple of my fav Kai Tak vids below.

Enjoy!

Offline rekno13

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 04:16:12 AM »
Ummmmmmm.....  I am gonna go to KLAX (Imperial Hill)  and watch the bad boys on the South Side!! Thanks guys!!

B

If you go on aviation blvd and park at the proud bird restaurant, you can walk right under the approach for 25L/R. Pretty awesome : )

Offline speedotann

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 10:41:14 AM »

B

If you go on aviation blvd and park at the proud bird restaurant, you can walk right under the approach for 25L/R. Pretty awesome : )

Cool, Thanks Rekno!! I also heard the In N Out is good for 25L/R

Offline athaker

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 12:00:38 PM »
In n Out is EXCELLENT for the 24's, especially 24R.  Nothing like a shake and crosswind on a beautiful socal day

Offline delta092b

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 01:20:34 PM »
KDTWpdf.pdf

The first photo is amazing!!....it took me a while to notice the plane....which is nice too ;)

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 08:06:31 PM »
KDTWpdf.pdf

The first photo is amazing!!....it took me a while to notice the plane....which is nice too ;)

:wink:  8-)