Author Topic: LiveATC Mobile Site (Beta)  (Read 85326 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
LiveATC Mobile Site (Beta)
« on: March 22, 2010, 09:54:21 PM »
I am pleased to announce the beta release of the LiveATC Mobile Web Site.   I have mentioned in other posts that mobile applications are under development for both Blackberry and Android, and those will be released some time in roughly the next 30-45 days.  The LiveATC Mobile Site should fill the gap for mobile browser users who prefer to not run dedicated apps or want an alternative way to listen to live feeds.

The site has been tested on a number of platforms, and only works on phones with media browsers that support MP3 streaming.  So far these are known to include:

• iPhone/iPod Touch
  • Blackberry Bold (and possible some other Blackberry models)
  • Android (OS 2.0 and later) - Android 1.x will work with the LiveATC Android app once released

Try the beta mobile site out (must visit using a mobile browser) when you get a chance: m.liveatc.net

Other features will be added in future releases.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline aspekt

Re: LiveATC Mobile Site (Beta)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 02:13:18 PM »
Just wanted to let you know that it works fine on the Curve 8900, as well.  At first the media player on the phone said there was an error opening the file, but second attempt at listening to the KMYF Socal Approach feed turned up fruitful.  I have now found a good way to drain my phone's battery in no time.  :-D

Big thank you to everyone that runs the site and especially to everyone providing feeds.  Keep up the awesome work :-D

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the update!

Offline PIT

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 04:40:02 PM »
FIANLLY! Great work dave Thanks!

Offline delta092b

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 11:05:26 PM »
All OK on Bold 9700

Offline Phlux

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:52:32 AM »
Everything loads and plays fine on my Pearl 8130, but my media player times out after 27 seconds once the stream is playing.  Same everytime.  Any ideas?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:59:35 AM »
Everything loads and plays fine on my Pearl 8130, but my media player times out after 27 seconds once the stream is playing.  Same everytime.  Any ideas?

That is probably the BIS (Blackberry's server) blocking the connection, or the built-in media player behaving badly.

Maybe upgrade to a Bold?  Just kidding.  Well, only a little.

I can tell you that developing for Blackberry is challenging, primarily because of the stark difference in capabilities of the different phone models.

Offline Phlux

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 09:55:09 AM »

I totally hear ya.  In two months I'm planning on upgrading to a Storm2 :-D (I could do it now, but I'm being the nice guy and waiting until the wife is eligible for an upgrade too :roll: )

Regardless, thank you for the hard work and I know I'll be able to enjoy the mobile site soon.

Offline kyleirwinlive

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:01:21 AM »
Works perfectly on my Blackberry Curve 8330 (Sprint version)

Offline Talon

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 12:07:59 AM »
New user checking in to let you know that this works great on the Motorola Droid! I'm looking forward to the Android application.

Thanks!
Michael

Offline Phlux

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 03:20:28 PM »

Works great on the Storm 2 :-D

Offline evilcuban

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 09:12:04 PM »
I updated my VZW Tour to the new OS 5.0 over the weekend and the mobile site just doesn't work.  It was a godsend before that, but I can't get a stream now.  Wish I knew why, it suits my needs so much better than the full site.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 09:24:51 PM »
Wish I knew why.  Unfortunately, the whole Blackberry device lineup is undergoing constant change and hard to keep track of.  And if the browser would simply conform with W3C standards it would make developers' lives a bit easier.  That and the screen size limitation are some of the reasons you don't see many people really using the browsers on the Blackberry devices.

What exactly doesn't work for you?

When the Blackberry app is out this will all be kind of moot anyway.

Offline evilcuban

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 10:20:41 PM »
It just doesn't load the feed.  When I select open the feed doesn't open like it should/used to/does with the normal site.  I'm certain it can't be anything on your end, but regardless of whose end it's on it's on my end! I'll try to stream from BOLT tomorrow; Opera Mini doesn't seem to be able to stream feeds/audio. 

Offline evilcuban

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 08:02:25 AM »
No luck with BOLT. It just opens the default browser. Even when I try to point it to the mobile site it still redirects to the full site, so its a moot point on how it loads the feed. Looking fwd to the app, then! Let me know if you want/need beta testers. I should be able to get you good usage in varying conditions.

Offline Phlux

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 09:41:40 AM »
That is strange Cuban.  My BB is running 5.0 and the streams are working well.  I think my old phone was running a late 4.5 or 4.6 and I couldn't get it to do anything with the feeds.  I swear I think alot of our problems are carrier related as well.  Not only is the BB lineup in a constant state of ....um...phlux  :wink:, but carriers are too.  Acquiring towers here, losing them there, enabling GPS, disabling it, intermittent streaming, etc.  It's just a guess, but it seems logical.

And ditto on the offer to beta test.

Offline Bertie

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 07:03:50 PM »
Well this is extremely well timed - just got a new phone 10 days ago with free data! Can confirm that it works on the Nokia X6 which runs Symbian S60 version 5. Note that you do have to give it a minute to buffer but after that it's fine, around 90 seconds behind the standard online feed.

Thanks for sorting this out!

Offline bleyton

• Tarpy Tailors - the finest airline uniforms, since 1934
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 12:37:09 PM »
The Mobile site works great on my 1st generation iphone.  I've already set up bookmarks for my 2 feeds in Safari. 

Great job Dave!

Brian
Your KBUR and KLAX feeder

Offline dutchmil

• http://www.dutchmil.nl/CE2007
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »
Hi Dave,

Works great on my Ipad aswell.

Back home again, will try to setup the EHAM feed in the next few days again ....

René.
Live ATC feed from the Netherlands
http://www.dutchmil.nl/liveatc

Offline Phlux

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 11:04:07 AM »
A quick word of caution to those using the Storm2 on Verizon.  I upgraded my OS last night because I was sick of getting notifications that one was available.  I went up from .320 to .607 and now I can't seem to stream LiveATC mobile, or your muze.  The stream loads, begins to buffer, then gives me an error loading media.

If anyone is running .607 and is able to stream from LiveATC please let me know.

Thanks

Offline gdr1982

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 08:44:56 AM »
A quick word of caution to those using the Storm2 on Verizon.  I upgraded my OS last night because I was sick of getting notifications that one was available.  I went up from .320 to .607 and now I can't seem to stream LiveATC mobile, or your muze.  The stream loads, begins to buffer, then gives me an error loading media.

If anyone is running .607 and is able to stream from LiveATC please let me know.

Thanks

I too upgraded to .607 and cannot access any feeds. I get the same playback error, I need a fix!

Offline azreark1

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 09:29:50 AM »
Eh, using m.liveatc on my droid phone and it will play and then just magically quit playing, at first I thought it was just buffering but after sitting here for 30mins I figured there was something wrong. I use YourMuze to listen as well but it just kills my battery because I can't lock the screen. So is there a setting or something that I am missing on here to keep it streaming or is it. A common thing...

I am running the latest version on my droid.

Offline Phlux

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 10:17:52 AM »

I too upgraded to .607 and cannot access any feeds. I get the same playback error, I need a fix!

I'm sorry this is happening to you too, but I am glad I'm not the only one.  Bugs with this OS are so random with each user.  Some are having tons of problems and hate it, while others (like me) only have one or two issues and like it.

I hope the liveATC BB app is on final approach :lol: (just kidding Dave, well only a little :wink:)

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 12:36:27 PM »
checked it out from an iphone and LAX audio was great!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 12:46:54 PM »

I'm sorry this is happening to you too, but I am glad I'm not the only one.  Bugs with this OS are so random with each user.  Some are having tons of problems and hate it, while others (like me) only have one or two issues and like it.

I hope the liveATC BB app is on final approach :lol: (just kidding Dave, well only a little :wink:)

Contact RIM and tell them to stop breaking MP3 stream playing in their player.  :-)

App is still under development, you guys will be some of the first to know.

Dave