Author Topic: Located the local NDB  (Read 5701 times)

Offline Jonathan_tcu

Located the local NDB
« on: September 18, 2005, 07:26:31 PM »
I've been on a journey today.  I wondered where the Sandy Falls beacon here in Timmins is located.  Sure enough, I headed out on the city's far west end, southwest of the airport about 5 nm, passed by a medium sized yard with a 50 foot tower and a fence with a NavCanada board on it saying NDB T 405   So, I can't believe I actually found the Sandy Falls beacon identifier ZTS which helps guide aircraft for the straight-in Rwy 03 approach via the RIDIK fix when descending to the non-radar environment.  I've got some pictures too.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
NDB
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 03:02:21 PM »
Wait'll you see your local VOR.  You'll definitely want to take pictures of that.

Offline tyketto

Located the local NDB
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 05:55:22 PM »
I agree. the VORs are interesting. Luckily, LAS is at the field, so I didn't have troube finding that one. BLD is up on Black Mountain in Henderson, NV, which you basically have to be a TV newscaster to get to it!

In the drive from Vegas to Sacramento, I found and snapped pics of BTY, TPH, OAL, MVA (all on the World's Loneliest Highway (US-95), FMG, and SWR (on I-80). I found it funny that I was caring more about what sector of US airspace I was driving through than making sure I was on the right road! :P On the trip up, I had entered ZLC from BTY to TPH, then in 6 miles, entered ZOA at OAL!

I would find the NDBs over here, but they pulled them all out of service here, or at least the approaches. METRE is gone, for sure.

BL.

Offline keko126.5

• http://watchmexplode.cjb.net
Located the local NDB
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 05:58:49 PM »
I thought 50 was the lonliest? Any who, people on black mountain get mad when  your on that mountain, its preetty though.

I MISS VEGAS!!!!!!!! :(

Offline stealth71

Located the local NDB
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 01:56:22 PM »
Not sure where ours is, somewhere in the mountains, but I can pick it up with a regular AM radio at about 531Khz.