Author Topic: Minorities in ATC  (Read 7737 times)

Offline Johnksan

Minorities in ATC
« on: May 15, 2007, 11:23:20 PM »
Hi All,

Anyone know of any controllers who are Iranian Americans?  What percentage of ATCS are minorities?  I'm currently in ATCTI school looking to get into the FAA to be an ATCS.  Everyone I know in the ATC program is anglo caucasian.  At least in my school I'm the only Iranian American.  I don't mind this at all, just want to know if anyone else like me out there.  I've seen black, hispanic or even Iranian american pilots but not ATCS.

Offline edro20

Re: Minorities in ATC
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 09:12:23 PM »
Hi,

I suggest that you decide the career path you wish and pusue it. I feel personally that there is no bearing on your heritage if you are a good controller. If your intent is to provoke, then you have failed. Best of luck to you.

Offline digger

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:35:15 PM »
I didn't percieve any intent to provoke, but that's just me.

I took a look around, trying to find a figure for the number of Iranian Americans there are here in  the US. Figures given vary, but the range was between 691,000 and one million. That's about 3/10 of one percent (.003), of the US population. If they are represented in that same proportion in the controller population, that means there'd only be 45 out of 15,000.

You may bump into another one, but it would be quite a coincidence...

Offline TrixieKQ

• Former controller from ZAB & ZBW.
    • Piper Wilson
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 03:04:27 PM »
I didn't think he was trying to provoke anything either. :-)

Offline Weez

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 12:05:49 AM »
Unfortunately being an ATC as a minority is tough. No idea on any kind of %, but many hispanics (insert other background here) may not be US Citizens. Non US Citizens cannot be Air Traffic Controllers.

My dream after using ATCSim2, controlling on VATSIM and other networks was precisely to be an air traffic controller. But unfortunately, Im not a US Citizen, or at least not yet, and hence I wouldnt be hired. I beleive you can attend the different college/universities and take the courses, you just wont be hired.

Had to settle with Business/Marketing and Control aircraft online  :cry: