airtraffic

Author Topic: Montreal Centre  (Read 20298 times)

Offline flightfan747

Montreal Centre
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:50:43 PM »
I am just wondering if anyone can tell me if they know of any links for Montreal Centre frequencies especially  the 134.4. I can listen to Toronto centre handing off  to this  then can occasionally catch them again on the gander transatlantic clearance frequencies although not always. It would be nice to track the missing bit inbetween.

Thanks
Colin

Offline T210 Driver

• My "Miss Piggy" 1982 T210N
Re: Montreal Centre
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:19:16 PM »
I have looked into feeding this, but NavCanada refuses to say where the RCO is located.   And just this one node will not provide VHF coverage to Gander.  For aircraft headed overseas, Montreal will have the planes switch over to another RCO  (Mont Carmel), then YQB, then Sept Isle, Stephenville and then Gander (NL).

So you can see, its not just one feed to track these overseas flights.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 12:35:11 PM »
I have looked into feeding this, but NavCanada refuses to say where the RCO is located.

The 134.400 RCO is located in Montreal, AFAIK right at the YUL airport. If you search the Industry Canada database it shows both a YMX and YUL location, but I would suspect the YMX location is not used ?

https://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/web_search.frequency_input

134.400 is usually always linked via relay with 127.875, the sector to the north, which would cover both sectors to the west of Montreal. As far as North Atlantic traffic goes, after this they are handed off to the frequenices to the east of Montreal on either 133.225 covering the southern part or 123.925 covering the northern part, both these frequencies are usually always linked together via relay as well, the RCO for both these frequencies is listed as Saint Adrien, however I'm wondering if 123.925 is actually located at Quebec City ?

Perhaps as an experiment you could get one of the Montreal feeds to tune up 134.400 and the Quebec City feed to tune up 123.925, this would give you complete coverage of the 4 southern Montreal high sectors if you can get the controllers. Eastbound after Montreal the handoff is to Moncton Center then to Gander Center before the handoff to Gander Radio on HF for the crossing.

DJ

Offline flightfan747

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 04:02:53 PM »
Thanks for the info. I kinda suspected it wouldn't be as easy as just the one frequency but this confirms it .Will just stick to the hit and miss approach for now . Can usually pick them up on HF and depending how far north they come on this side can catch them on combination of vhf and feeds again to destination airports.

Offline SkyViking

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 10:47:03 PM »
Slightly off topic but might help the poster anyways, but when I fly I always listen to my VHF on board.  On my last two transatlantic crossings here is the sequence of frequencies I was able to monitor till reaching Gander Oceanic from YYZ:

After takeoff handed off to departure on 127.575, then 124.025 --->  121.225   --->  127.875  --->  Montreal 123.925  --->  133.025  --->  119.4  --->  Gander 134.0  --->  128.325  --->  132.65

These were both on northern tracks out of YYZ intercepting the Atlantic at LOMTA then 50W 63N.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 11:06:05 AM »
Thanks for the info. I kinda suspected it wouldn't be as easy as just the one frequency but this confirms it

Montreal is the easy part, once they get the handoff to Moncton and then Gander it gets more complicated because they vary the frequency/sector configuration depending on the location of the daily NAT tracks and traffic volume. You can see the various Moncton and adjacent Gander sectors here ....

http://www.canairradio.com/YQM.jpg

On my last two transatlantic crossings here is the sequence of frequencies I was able to monitor till reaching Gander Oceanic from YYZ

It's very rare to go that far north on an eastbound Atlantic crossing to Europe out of YYZ, unless you were going somewhere north like Helsinki or Moscow, or had no ETOPS ?

For those interested and didn't know about it you can get the daily NAT Track message here ....

https://www.notams.jcs.mil/common/nat.html

DJ

Offline SkyViking

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 08:27:55 PM »
JetScan1, I was flying PIA to Pakistan on the nonstop 77L. 

Offline Dan CZQM

• Trip Website
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 08:15:34 AM »
Hi all,

We are in the process of setting up a few scanners to pick up some of the CZQM (Moncton Center) frequencies.  The timeline for full implementation is 4-6 weeks if all goes well and weather permits equipment install.  We will probably be doing some periodic tests before the full launch.

Dan

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 09:10:33 AM »
From what I have heard from my listening times on Montreal Centre after either 133.225/123.925 handoffs are to Boston Center from 133.225 over to 128.05 thence to Moncton 127.125 or 132.7. As Jestcan reiterated from the north end of 123.925 I have heard handoffs to Moncton Center on 126.325 after that I also am missing frequencies before the HF transition. Man would I love a Moncton feed to listen to. Rest assured I will be glued to that feed.

Offline Dan CZQM

• Trip Website
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 01:06:11 PM »
Hello again,

After doing a bit of research, it looks like we would need a receiver in Natashquan, QC and Iles De La Madeleine QC (Grindstone) in order to complete the middle tracks.  I could be wrong on this.  Moncton Center transmits on Grindstone and Gander Center uses Natashquan.
As we forge ahead with Moncton frequencies, it will take time, but hopefully some of my contacts in Grindstone will be willing to setup those freqs for liveatc.
Having talked to Dave, he is quite willing to give his expertise in helping someone cover gaps in coverage.
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to follow along as your mother-in-law goes on a 5-6 month vacation and you can actually make sure the aircraft is not turning around and bringing her back to you   :-D

Dan

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 03:34:04 PM »
We are in the process of setting up a few scanners to pick up some of the CZQM (Moncton Center) frequencies.

That would be great, looking forward to it. If it helps you out at all these are the frequencies and associated RCO locations

Moncton High (FL290 and above) WEST

135.200 - Yarmouth
132.450 - Yarmouth
128.375 - Yarmouth
132.700 - Moncton
127.125 - Moncton
126.325 - Sept Isle
133.350 - Sept Isle

Moncton High (FL290 and above) EAST

133.300 - Sydney
133.700 - Sydney
125.250 - Sydney
132.750 - Sydney
132.800 - Grindstone
133.550 - Stephenville
135.775 - Stephenville
120.325 - Stephenville
132.525 - Natashquan
118.875 - Natashquan

I notice the current LiveATC radio that is located at Sydney has at least one of the high frequencies loaded, but it doesn't seem to have the other ones or if it does you can't hear the controllers on them and reception range is poor (when not being blocked out by the Gander delivery frequency). Stephenville would be a good location for a feed with 3 Moncton frequencies located there for those middle sectors.

I was flying PIA to Pakistan on the nonstop 77L.

That explains the northern routing.

I have heard handoffs to Moncton Center on 126.325 after that I also am missing frequencies before the HF transition.

As an example, last summer, routing via YMX.ANCER.STEAM.OYSTR

123.925 Montreal -> 126.325 Moncton -> 118.875 Monton -> 133.425 Gander -> 127.100 Gander Radio -> Gander Radio HF

The OYSTR position report was on 127.100 and the 50W position report on HF.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:38:09 AM by JetScan1 »

Offline flightfan747

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 07:36:32 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks for all the additional info it is a great help.
There are quite a few flights from central europe that track north up the north sea passing around 90 miles offshore before turning either over my location or slightly further north passing "atsix" before their transatlantic crossing and the reverse on the return leg.Am planning to upgrade the antennas here later in the year but guess still too far away to catch the missing sectors.
Thanks again

Colin

Offline Dan CZQM

• Trip Website
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 02:33:18 PM »
Hi all,

We are in the process of setting up a few scanners to pick up some of the CZQM (Moncton Center) frequencies.  The timeline for full implementation is 4-6 weeks if all goes well and weather permits equipment install.  We will probably be doing some periodic tests before the full launch.

Dan

Hi all,

Still have not received my antenna but am running a test right now http://d.liveatc.net/cyqm.m3u

Have a listen.  Especially interesting around 1600Z for the west bound traffic and again around 0000Z for the east bound traffic, but the chatter on the high level is pretty constant.

I have the following frequencies dialed in:
120.800 CYQM (Moncton) Tower (2 way)
124.400 Moncton Center low to FL280 (2 way)
132.700 Moncton Center High South West FL290 and above (2 way)
127.125 Moncton Center High Central? FL290 and above (only hear pilot)
132.800 Moncton Center High North East FL290 and above (only hear pilot)

I will be moving the setup this evening (042509) at around 2300Z and that should take an hour or less.  I will keep the feed going for the next bit while I wait for the antenna.  Hopefully with the new antenna, signal strength will increase on those borderline feeds.
I will post when feed is up 24/7 for good.

I will be adding a 2nd scanner to strictly cover the high oceanic destined aircraft.

If you have any feedback, by all mean send it my way, good or bad.  djchopperd@hotmail.com

Enjoy the airways,

Dan

PS  Thanks to all the feeders, makes my day at work go by much faster.  Also thanks to the "clip" posters as well.

Offline CYUL

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 11:47:22 PM »
I have looked into feeding this, but NavCanada refuses to say where the RCO is located.
The 134.400 RCO is located in Montreal, AFAIK right at the YUL airport. If you search the Industry Canada database it shows both a YMX and YUL location, but I would suspect the YMX location is not used ?

It's actually on St. Francois Blvd. north of the airport. I was there in the late 90's for an FSS exam.

Paul

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 08:34:26 PM »
Excellent feed. Tons of inbound European flight's inbound to the USA. Cant wait till the other radio comes aboard.

Offline Dan CZQM

• Trip Website
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
Excellent feed. Tons of inbound European flight's inbound to the USA. Cant wait till the other radio comes aboard.

You will notice in the evening, the flights going over to Europe are getting their clearances for oceanic, lots and lots of altitude change requests, etc.
Once I get the second scanner, the tower feed which can be quite busy will be moved so that all the high stuff will be seperate and uninterrupted.

Dan