airtraffic

Author Topic: Multiple feeds/same city  (Read 8341 times)

Offline zulupapa

Multiple feeds/same city
« on: August 15, 2016, 12:30:44 PM »
How does LiveATC.net handle 2 feeders from the same area/city.  Do they pick the one with the better feed and use it? I am about to go live tomorrow night (waiting on a grounding block to be mailed ). There is already a feed in my city. However, my feed is about 50% clearer than that one.  Just wondering how that is handled.

Offline tyketto

Re: Multiple feeds/same city
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 01:31:49 PM »
How does LiveATC.net handle 2 feeders from the same area/city.  Do they pick the one with the better feed and use it? I am about to go live tomorrow night (waiting on a grounding block to be mailed ). There is already a feed in my city. However, my feed is about 50% clearer than that one.  Just wondering how that is handled.

Speaking for Dave here, as I frequently listen to an airport that has more than one provider.

We simply accept and use both!

For example, there are two separate providers for the KLAS feed, and depending on certain things, one has a clearer feed than another. But on the flip side of that, there are certain positions that one feed covers that another one doesn't. For example.

Feeds A and B provide a Tower feed.
Feed A provides TRACON services and some Center/En Route services.
Feed B provides a combined DEL and Ground feed.
Feed B provides a combined Delivery/Ground/Tower feed.

What this means is that just because someone has a feed for an airport, that does not mean they have a monopoly over that airport. In this case, redundancy is great, because if one feed goes down, there is still coverage of that airport through another feed. We'd rather have the redundancy and contiguous coverage of the airport and airspace around the airport than a monopoly over the location.

BL.

Offline zulupapa

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 02:21:24 PM »
 OK, that makes sense now. And I suppose that what you feed is entirely up to the individual, and not live ATC.net ?  I'm glad to see that it's not a monopoly operation, because I sure didn't want to take away somebody else's feed just because of quality issues. I'm glad to see that live ATC.net will host both. Thanks for the info, and  I am looking forward to going live tomorrow night. I have worked my butt off to get a decent feed.  But it has been fun !

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 05:21:41 PM »
We always try to run both. If one has better reception we generally try to note that by labeling them #1 and #2 - where #1 has the better reception and is more likely to have someone tune in there first. But that label only applies if the channels are identical.

We generally try to do the right thing...and encourage quality feeds. But there are no hard and fast rules.

Redundancy is considered good.

Offline zulupapa

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 07:02:15 PM »
Ok, thanks for the info.  I'll send you guys an email tomorrow night when it's all set up.  I just need to install a grounding block that is coming in the mail tomorrow before I am ready for a full time connection.   Thanks again.