Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 5740 times)

Offline T_N_T

Need some help
« on: July 18, 2007, 12:09:20 AM »
Okay guys,
so I can pick up  the ATIS from KBNA Nashville International Airport, but when I type the frequencies for ground/tower etc. I got from Airnav.com I get an error message on my scanner. I am confused about those frequencies as there are multiple ones listed I am not sure I am using the right one.

This is the scanner I am using and it is equipped for Air Band frequncies

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049661&cp=2032052&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032052&categoryId=2032052&kwCatId=2032052&kw=scanners&parentPage=search

If anyone could help me I would appreciate it.

Tim
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 12:12:04 AM by T_N_T »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 12:32:41 AM »
That scanner covers airband just fine.  Are you plugging in the VHF or UHF frequencies for KBNA?

Offline T_N_T

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 01:13:42 AM »
That scanner covers airband just fine.  Are you plugging in the VHF or UHF frequencies for KBNA?

I've been typing in the ones in the 1xx range, are those the UHF ones? Sorry I am just confused on this.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 01:16:11 AM »

I've been typing in the ones in the 1xx range, are those the UHF ones? Sorry I am just confused on this.

Those are VHF and they should work.  Perhaps you should read over the manual and make sure you are entering in the right place - that you're not stuck in some weird mode.

Offline T_N_T

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 01:20:08 AM »

Those are VHF and they should work.  Perhaps you should read over the manual and make sure you are entering in the right place - that you're not stuck in some weird mode.

Ok, Ill check it again, maybe I hit a button by accident.

Offline T_N_T

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 02:07:11 AM »

I got it to work, thanks for the info, actually ground/tower are more readable than the ATIS signal is, reading some of the things other people here have said I'm suprised I can pick this up being more than 28 miles out but I am using a really big antenna so I guess it makes sense.

Offline T_N_T

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 10:51:22 AM »
After listening for a while I noticed that the pilots communications are much weaker than tower/ground, do you know why this is happening? Is it just my distance?

Offline KMSY

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 11:57:54 AM »
They're probably just a lot further away. In some cases you'll be trying to pick up aircraft that are 56 miles away (aircraft are just as far away from the airport as you are, but on the other side), that's quite a distance.