Author Topic: New handheld scanner from Uniden Bearcat: BC125AT  (Read 18347 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
New handheld scanner from Uniden Bearcat: BC125AT
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:34:25 AM »
This new handheld scanner is a great one for aviation monitoring fans - it is far easier to program than the other modern scanners and covers military air band:

Bearcat BC125AT information from Scannermaster.com

Offline notaperfectpilot

• PPL
Re: New handheld scanner from Uniden Bearcat: BC125AT
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:40:25 PM »
oh wow! Couldn't they have come out with that about 3 months sooner? I would have probably gotten it instead of the one I have now...not that the one that I have now is bad!

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 10:13:17 PM »
Saw that yesterday on Scannermaster.com
Noticed "Delta Blue Angel on 237.8" on the LCD display.
 :-)

Offline Chadan

• Boone Airport
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:39:05 PM »
Thanks for the tip Dave! In for one! It's arriving today! I'll report back how I like it if anyone's interested.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:57:21 PM »
Thanks for the tip Dave! In for one! It's arriving today! I'll report back how I like it if anyone's interested.

I've been testing one for a few days.  So far I am very impressed.  Excellent sensitivity and selectivity - in a pretty apples-to-apples comparison the BC125AT is hearing things that a BC396D is not hearing (at least in VHF air band).

I plan to write up a review as well.  Love to know your thoughts.

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 12:57:25 AM »
Some more additional information on the BC125AT:

http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/BC125AT

Offline Chadan

• Boone Airport
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 09:53:44 AM »
This is the second digital scanner I've owned. My first is a Radio Shack Pro-97 that I haven't used much other than to tune in my local CTAF and set aside because of a persistent hum through the headphone-out jack. I can't comment much on the functionality of the scanner because I'm fairly new to the hobby, however I was able to program in my local airports' CTAFs, Approach, Tower, and Ground frequencies using this slightly inaccurate guide.

My first thoughts about the BC125AT are that it seems ruggedly built (could take a fall,) and feels very comfortable in the hand. Reception seems good. I may hook up an external antenna to hopefully pick up some ground chat from the airport that's a mile from my house.

A couple of things that I was disappointed about were:

• There is no indication of a full charge; and there doesn't seem to be any circuitry detecting a full charge. This confused me for some time because when I first got it, I plugged it into the A/C charger (which I didn't realize was just a USB adapter of which I have many of already!) and charged it overnight. It still said CHARGING in the morning, so I took it to work and plugged it in for another 8 hours. Still CHARGING. The reason seems to be that there is a user-adjustable timer for charging the batteries that gets reset to 14 hrs every time the USB cord is connected. However, it came with 2300 hr NI-MH batteries that lasted over 8 hrs with constant use, so I was very impressed with the charge effectiveness.
    • The keypad isn't illuminated. Maybe people that use scanners in their sleep know where the keys are, but it is very difficult for a newbie as myself to get much done when it's dark other than viewing the LCD screen (which is very readable.)

Offline datainmotion

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:35:22 AM »
I've been testing one for a few days.  So far I am very impressed.  Excellent sensitivity and selectivity - in a pretty apples-to-apples comparison the BC125AT is hearing things that a BC396D is not hearing (at least in VHF air band).

I plan to write up a review as well.  Love to know your thoughts.

I'll be interested to see your review. I have a GRE PSR-310 arriving tomorrow ($149 shipped). I think that will be a closer comparison than the 396.

http://www.greamerica.com/PSR-310.html
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:41:34 AM by datainmotion »

Offline thesergio

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 07:11:37 PM »
I bought the GRE PSR-310 a couple of months ago, great scanner. I wanted something smaller to carry around so I picked up the Bearcat BC125AT on amazon a couple of days ago, can't wait for it to get here!

Offline ORD Don

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 10:52:13 AM »

Available on Amazon for about $125  :-o

Offline Steelrman

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »
Newbie question from a future scanner owner. When they say its programmable from your PC, where does the information come from that you download to your PC for the scanner?  Is it from a particular website?

Offline makonyy15

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »
RadioReference.com has all the frequencies you could ever imagine in their database. Once you register with them, you can download frequencies directly through the scanner's PC Software.