Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 04:19:11 AM
Home Help Login Register      
News: NEW Follow LiveATC updates on Twitter and Facebook

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Listener Forum (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  Oprah show -- Friday Sept. 30, 2005 -- DFW controller
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oprah show -- Friday Sept. 30, 2005 -- DFW controller  (Read 7057 times)
digger

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2005, 10:31:48 PM »

I see all of your points, Richie, but the 'walk a mile in my shoes' justification sometimes doesn't cut it.

Well, even if age weren't a factor, better attention to detail would probably help. The "walk a mile in my shoes" point was mine, not Richie's.    wink

will we ever get the truth? once again, I do not know.

I'll repeat that point again, just for clarity, and make the disclaimer that it's only my personal opinion. NO, you, me, we, will never get the truth. Not all of the facts, nor all of the agendas, and everybody involved will have them.

We can discuss the issue and the underlying principles here theoretically forever, and that can be productive. If you take Richie's word for it, and I do, there is a written set of rules, and an unwritten set of rules. The game is played by both sets, and it's at the controller's peril to not know which set is in effect from moment to moment.

That having been said, I think it's more important to keep in mind, we, who are not, never have been, and never will be, in the position to know exactly how the game is played and all of it's nuances, will never be truly qualified to be the judge of whether or not a controller's (any controller's--the alleged victim here, or the alleged prepetrator's), conduct is in or out of bounds.
binky

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2005, 12:47:31 PM »

My opinion on this is that no person should ever be assaulted or have their life threatened at work.  That is indisputable, but I dont think the whole story is being told here.  The angle is that she did the right thing and didn't want the error she witnessed covered up.    Is this supposed to imply that the people involved in the loss of separation and others are reckless and don't take their job as an ATC seriously?  The people involved in the incident are license holders and are responsible for their actions just as she is held responsbile for hers.  Do mistakes happen?  Of course they do.  Has she ever had one in 21 years?  Probably.  Would she turn herself in if no one was harmed and no one noticed that she had one?  Tough question.  Would you? Would you expose two co-workers?  What if the cause was one of the pilots deviating from their assigned altitude or blowing through their localizer on their turn to final?  Do pilots get violated for all of their errors by ATC? Hell no.  Where were the TCAS reports that the pilots may have filed with their company?  Why didnt she bring up her concerns regarding having to work in a workplace where safety concerns her with her Union and co-workers instead of going to management? People remember this is Oprah.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length