airtraffic

Author Topic: Perth, Western Australia having parking problems  (Read 6323 times)

Offline sam_nz

Perth, Western Australia having parking problems
« on: September 22, 2005, 12:00:01 PM »
From the sounds of things, Perth have landed aircraft stacked to their eyeballs and nowhere to put them.

Offline sam_nz

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 12:10:08 PM »
Cancel that, they've managed to clear it somehow.

Offline Jonathan_tcu

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 04:58:20 PM »
You will notice sometimes aerodomes will hold an arriving aircraft if the bay is full.  That's never happened here unless the weather is IFR, then the next aircraft to land is allowed to land ONLY when the guy ahead of him is officially clear and off the runway, for IFR arriving safety purposes.  I once saw a tv ATC story ages ago that there are too many aircrafts in the air and not enough concrete to put them on, this was a quote from an American tower controller about 15 years ago.

Offline sam_nz

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 05:02:20 AM »
I think that was partially the problem with Perth.  They're a stopover site for so many international flights that a couple of hiccups on the ground led them into a "worst case" scenario.  One plane was missing a passenger and they held the plane because the passenger's baggage was loaded.  One had unspecified problems and was told to park and leave it till maintenance could get to it.  All in all, it was interesting listening.

One other thing ... whether it's because I'm closer to it or the feed is from a particularly good setup, it's as clear as daylight.  Good for newbies who are getting to grips with terms ... although "okay" and "mate" surface a bit often.  :lol:

Offline Jonathan_tcu

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 06:42:49 AM »
That's the benefit with living close to a transmitter site. The benefit you have is the same I had when visiting Peterborough ONtario and heard the Simco sector 127.0 split away from the two Peterborough/Toronto east freq's and the Peterborough sectors got suddenly quiet on one scanner and I only heard '1-way' conversations on the Simco sector, being close enough to the Simco sector, I COULD hear the pilots on there.  Up here where I live, you're lucky to hear aircraft handing off to the adjacent sectors on either freq 127.25 or 135.5  So you're pretty lucky.

Offline sam_nz

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 09:34:05 PM »
Ah, thank you, that would explain it.