Author Topic: PHL Freqs.  (Read 12587 times)

Offline taf158

PHL Freqs.
« on: January 10, 2006, 04:29:48 PM »
Since Philly has been using 27L and 26 for arrivals, and 27R for departures they have switched the final frequency from 125.400 to 132.67. Is there any chance of adding 132.67 to the cycle. Thanks to whoever hosts it, it is a great feed!

Offline JALTO

PHL Freqs.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 09:43:23 PM »
At 9:35pm tonight they switched operations back to the normal 27R/26/35 arrival and switched the final back to 125.4.

Could anyone lend a hand in letting us know what would cause such a switch or why the different freq for the final?

-J

TC

PHL Freqs.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 07:49:09 AM »
It could have been simply because 125.4 was temporarily out of service.

Offline PHL Approach

PHL Freqs.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 11:16:50 AM »
SAPR2 (Simultaneous Approaches to Parallel Runways) - "Final Vectors One" 125.4 runs 26. "Final Vectors Two" runs 27L. This operation mimics PRM, it was created because the PRM has been OTS since March due to software problems. In normal West Ops, Final Vectors Two runs the 35 Final. They created the SAPR2 back around April/May and I remember they actually ran it for like 8 days straight. It died off a bit during the summer. It's since came back to life during the fall. And they run it about 1-2 times a week. I tried to get 32.67 added along with 125.12 (South High) and 126.07 (North High) but it's hard for Sean to get into the PHL offices to change anything. Someone just asked me about this operation so I'll copy and paste what I told them:

"It's a little operation that they have been using since about May 05' called the SAPR2 (Simultaneous Approaches to Parallel Runways). Basically it's departing 27R and 35 at Kilo. Arrivals 26 and 27L. It mimics the PRM operation, since the PRM has been OTS since March 05' due to some software issues. Back about 2-3 years ago they ran what was called SAPR now SAPR1 and that was arrivals to 26, 27R and 27L and departures off 27R if I remember correctly, for some reason that operation died out. I guess when Micheal Wagner (PHL ATM/ Ex - EWR ATM) came in, he didn't like it. I'll try to find a photo back then when you could see three planes staggered for 26, 27R and 27L."

"They have been toying with running it in different arrival/departure pushes. It's a pain for them to switch back to normal ops because you have to take all those planes waiting at 27R on Sierra and Hotel back around to 27L and try to get those remaining departures out in between the "normal flow" 27R arrivals. They use it mainly on weekends, or atleast once a week. I remember back in May when it was new, they ran it like 10 days straight, from 11 to 9 or so. Last time "I saw" them use it was October 17th and they ran it from about 1:30pm to 7:30pm. Take a look at some A.net photos, you can see we have some shots on there of aircraft lined up at 27R or taking postion."

Offline sean

PHL Freqs.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 01:01:25 PM »
Guys.. I maintain the PHL feed right from the administrative offices of the airport itself.  There are some unresolved antenna issues that make reception less-than-perfect.  I'm going to try and make some improvements to that in the next few months, and I'll add the frequencies at that time.  

Thanks for the heads up.

Sean

Offline JALTO

PHL Freqs.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 02:11:24 PM »
Ed,
Thanks for the info!

-J

Offline taf158

PHL Freqs.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 06:53:53 PM »
Thanks Ed for the explanation, and Sean for working on the feed. Ed, do you control at PHL?

Offline PHL Approach

PHL Freqs.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 07:10:13 AM »
Quote from: taf158
Thanks Ed for the explanation, and Sean for working on the feed. Ed, do you control at PHL?

Unfortunately, not yet :( but soon!

Offline phlcontroller

PHL Freqs.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 08:48:37 PM »
Ed, you seem very informed about the operation at PHL, what do you do?

Offline PHL Approach

PHL Freqs.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 10:23:21 PM »
Just an enthusiast so far, maybe you can say "biggest PHL ATC enthusiast". First started learning the ops when I got my first scanner in May 04'. I would listen to all the sectors and visualize the airspace. Just last June, two good friends from the facility got me the SOP.  I can also thank all my contacts in the facility for getting me in four times so far. I have been trying to get the PHL guys/ gals on this site to check it out.

Offline phlcontroller

PHL Freqs.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 10:46:01 PM »
I just learned about this site from one of my buddies that's a pilot for air-tran. We went to school together and he said he tries to pick me out on the frequency. CB.

Offline sean

PHL Freqs.
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 12:36:44 AM »
CB.. let us know when you've been working, and we'll pull our "tapes!"

Offline PHL Approach

PHL Freqs.
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 06:35:06 AM »
He's doing OJTI with a women Dev. on South Arrival sometime between 3-11. He said we'll probably hear him correct her mistakes on the freq.

Offline JALTO

PHL Freqs.
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 10:59:52 AM »
They seem to be running this operation more and more now...I flew in to PHL last night during the rush and since I landed on 27L  and could see our traffic just ahead for 26 I'm assuming that the SAPR2 was in motion.   Does anyone know if this is helping the congestion in and around PHL or just still in the experimental phase?  

Thanks,
-J

Offline PHL Approach

PHL Freqs.
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 12:18:21 PM »
Quote from: JALTO
They seem to be running this operation more and more now...I flew in to PHL last night during the rush and since I landed on 27L  and could see our traffic just ahead for 26 I'm assuming that the SAPR2 was in motion.   Does anyone know if this is helping the congestion in and around PHL or just still in the experimental phase?  

Thanks,
-J

Jon, it gets many more arrivals down in VFR conditions then using the standard setup. Just as they were able to back when they used the PRM. They've been using the SAPR2 long enough for it not to be experimental. It's a true setup. The only problem is switching back, all those departures at 27R clog up the operation. Since they have to start moving them out on 27R while landing 27R guys. So basically it's cut down to a landing and departing operation.  When I get a chance, I'll post a PDF version of the actual SAPR2 SOP amendment packet that I got from the TRACON last May.

Offline PHL Approach

PHL Freqs.
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 06:57:59 PM »
Instead of scanning the packet, I found this version I had that I typed up. I didn't have a working scanner when I got the packet and I needed it on my computer. It's the same exact thing as the real one, just that it looks cleaner because I had to re-type it instead of scanning it.

www.zmpartcc.org/images/SAPR2.pdf

*This PDF may not be edited, modified, duplicated or reproduced in any way shape or form.