Author Topic: Pittsburgh ILS 10 LEFT Chart...29 years ago  (Read 17591 times)

Offline L-1011

Pittsburgh ILS 10 LEFT Chart...29 years ago
« on: February 16, 2006, 10:17:43 PM »
Thought the Pittsburgh people would be interested in this. It's an ILS chart from 1977.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 10:25:41 PM »
That's awesome L-1011.  I printed that up and can't wait to show it to some people.  Thanks.

Offline L-1011

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 10:43:46 PM »
Glad to do it.  Here's a taxi chart from April 1976.

Offline PIT

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 10:52:41 PM »
Im guesing that  this  chart  is when they were devloping  the new airport?

Offline L-1011

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 10:55:33 PM »
Yep...I can't believe that was 30 years ago. Seems like yesterday. You probably think I'm old, but I'm only in my 40's. And no, that's not old...haha

Offline PIT

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 10:56:23 PM »
Alos Jim, can you tell me why they dont land people  on 28R after 10pm?? my guess is that all the "rich" people of sewlickey got P.O. beacuse of the noise. it makes  me sad because 28R  is the runway that goes directly over my house and i like to hear the jets.  :cry: also tell leveryone at PIT that i said hi a and that i love to hear them everyday.

Offline PIT

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 11:03:34 PM »
Here is the new one if you want to compare it.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0602/00570AD.PDF

Offline PIT

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 11:11:30 PM »
Also on the old map, the taxiway that converts to  a runway (27). i think that  that is the neatest thing that i have ever seen, i wonder how many pilots have gone past  the runway marker. (that runway is for take-offs only)

Offline L-1011

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 11:13:57 PM »
Which taxiway are you talking about PIT?

Offline PIT

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 11:16:59 PM »
thhis one

Offline L-1011

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 11:20:21 PM »
Oh yeah. I remember that little runway. It was only used for take-offs by small aircraft in the daytime. Also, Runway 5 was closed, they only used Runway 23.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 11:21:15 PM »
Thanks for posting those charts!  Very cool.  

My only memory of the old Pittsburgh airport was in 1983 when I was 18 years old.  A buddy of mine and myself decided last minute to take a PEOPLExpress flight to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, for spring break in February.   However, all flights were full and standby was our only option.

We arrived at Syracuse airport and were told that there were plenty of seats available... on the SYR to PIT flight.  The PIT to FLL, however, was full, full full, and our only hope was to get our name on the standby list when we arrived in PIT.  Risking a night in PIT, we decided to chance it.

When we arrived in PIT, we ran to the connecting gate down the end of one of those PIT "cul-de-sacs" and, to our dismay, spotted a large line at the desk.  So, we stood in it and ended up getting 12th and 13th on the standby list.   With a full airplane, we had no hope, until...

The person right behind us was checking in when suddenly, the PEOPLExpress reservation system crashed.  The gate agent, getting all flustered, decided that the list she had started for standby became the list to board the airplane.  We were now 12th and 13th to board the 100+ seat aircraft.  

Climbing out of PIT in a PEOPLExpress B737 (IIRC), the captain announced "we are leaving Pittsburgh where the temperature is 20 degrees.  Ft. Lauderdale is reported a temperature of 85 and sunny."  The entire cabin broke out in a loud applause.

Sorry for the boring story but your taxi diagram of the old terminal brought back that memory...   :)

Offline PIT

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 11:29:08 PM »
lol, it was your  luckey day, i only flew out of the old PIT when i was 3, so i dont remember anything.

If you look at runway 28R you can see  that half   is  asphalt and half concrete, im guessing that they re-surfaced  half of it? does anyone what year they extended present  day 28C (old 28L). and  i wonder  why they took out runway 23/5

Offline L-1011

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 11:32:42 PM »
Yeah..I remember skipping school with my friends and driving to the end of 10 Left (with my all-band radio) and watching the planes take off from 28 Right. If we were lucky, the winds would be from the east and they would land on 10.

I remember the day when all the names were changed to give all the navigation points 5 letters. They took the HOOKN off of "Hookstown" and added an "I" to make STOWI and so forth.

Wind is gusting to 31 mph at my house right now. Could be an interesting day of listening tomorrow as winds are expected to reach 50 mph.

Offline L-1011

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 11:40:30 PM »
PIT..I do remember that the old 28 LEFT was 10,000 feet long in the 70's. But in the 80's, when the new construction began, the runway length was shortened (on the 10 Right side) because the tower could no longer see the end of the runway. It was then lengthened when the total project was done.

Offline digger

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 12:07:22 AM »
can you tell me why they dont land people on 28R after 10pm?? my guess is that all the "rich" people of sewlickey got P.O. beacuse of the noise.

My guess would be that it's not the Sewickly people, but parts of Moon Twp. that are the reason for that. Some years ago, the county actually bought a number of homes that were situated beneath the approach. Some were retrofitted with double pane windows, inusulated, and air conditioned, so that the occupants would never have to have open windows to let the noise in. Some others were just torn down period. I believe still other property owners were paid some amount of cash, as compensation for the close proximity of the approach, and the accompanying noise. Heck, I'd have paid the county to live there!   :D

If I'm not mistaken, you'll also never hear a jet departing from 14.

Thanks for the charts L-1011. Thery're very interesting.

Offline PIT

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 12:21:55 AM »
No, sometimes the Cargo heavies take off there but only props can land on taht  runway.

ther has  been many request for that runways now, one pilot asked  for the runway and the controller said not, he then said something like after we talk to county we will, im looking for the recording, ill have something soon

Offline PIT

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 12:29:04 AM »
I was  once told  that in 2000 before  sept 11 the airport was planin on expandin in the upcomming  years and that these were the runways that they were going to add. but we all know what  happened. you can also see that  the C and, D wing

Offline PIT

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 12:39:52 AM »
Here is the clip that i was talking  about earlier.

http://www.liveatc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7708#7708

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2006, 06:33:43 AM »
Quote from: PIT
Alos Jim, can you tell me why they dont land people  on 28R after 10pm?? my guess is that all the "rich" people of sewlickey got P.O. beacuse of the noise. it makes  me sad because 28R  is the runway that goes directly over my house and i like to hear the jets.  :cry: also tell leveryone at PIT that i said hi a and that i love to hear them everyday.

They land people on 28R after 10pm, just not jets, and yes it's because of noise abatement procedures.  I'm not sure if it's because of the people in Sewickley though or Moon but there are residential areas of Moon close to the 28R final.  10L however is another story....that's their primary landing runway when on an East flow.  Here's the 7110.65 explaination for Noise abatement:

3-5-1. SELECTION

a. Except where a "runway use" program is in effect, use the runway most nearly aligned with the wind when 5 knots or more or the "calm wind" runway when less than 5 knots (set tetrahedron accordingly) unless use of another runway:

NOTE-
1. If a pilot prefers to use a runway different from that specified, the pilot is expected to advise ATC.

2. At airports where a "runway use" program is established, ATC will assign runways deemed to have the least noise impact. If in the interest of safety a runway different from that specified is preferred, the pilot is expected to advise ATC accordingly. ATC will honor such requests and advise pilots when the requested runway is noise sensitive.

I'll tell the guys at PIT your sentiments but believe me, they know.  Also they asked me to thank you (the PIT feeder) for improving the reception of the feed....it sounds great lately.

Quote from: digger
If I'm not mistaken, you'll also never hear a jet departing from 14

I think you meant 32 because jets and props do depart from 14 on an East flow.  There are no taxiways that go all the way to the approach end of 32 so aircraft would have to back-taxi to it.  It was never meant as a departure runway.

Offline PIT

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2006, 07:03:36 AM »
i hope  that my antenna  is  sitll up there

Offline digger

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 03:13:03 PM »
Quote from: davolijj
I think you meant 32 because jets and props do depart from 14 on an East flow. There are no taxiways that go all the way to the approach end of 32 so aircraft would have to back-taxi to it. It was never meant as a departure runway.

Yeah. I was hoping to correct myself before somebody else got to.

Offline L-1011

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2006, 04:23:51 PM »
Thought you might like this Davolijj. It's from a 1977 Airport Directory book. Looks like Beaver Airport was G01 before it was BVI.

I'll be putting on audio files from the late 70's / early 80's (including some of the "adios" guy) of PIT tower/approach/departure shortly. As soon as I figure out how to do it.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2006, 04:52:39 PM »
Quote from: L-1011
Thought you might like this Davolijj. It's from a 1977 Airport Directory book. Looks like Beaver Airport was G01 before it was BVI.

Very nice L-1011....thanks, this one's going in the facility's scrapbook.  And I look forward to hearing those audio files.  BTW, if you're trying to convert them from cassette I suggest Audacity and connecting the cassette player to your line-in with an 1/8" miniplug cable.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_windows

Don't forget the Lame MP3 encoder.
I can't wait to hear those tapes.

Offline L-1011

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 07:44:17 PM »
Here is ILS approach chart for 28 Left from 1977.

I'll be putting up audio cassette files from the late 70's and early 80's of the PIT airport........as soon as I can find where I put them.