airtraffic

Author Topic: Plane headed to CLT from LGA down in Hudson River  (Read 121959 times)

Offline cessna157

• facebook
Re: Plane headed to CLT from LGA down in Hudson River
« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2009, 07:06:47 PM »
Comair sucked anyway, no? Good luck getting on with someone else.

No, I wouldn't agree.  Some may.  A friend (controller) once told me "A job is what you make of it".  I never let any of the politics get to me.  I just came to work and flew my planes.  It was my lifelong dream to fly for Comair.  So I got to live my dream for 2 years.  But the economy has forced me to move on.

But we're starting to get a bit off topic.

Any guesses as to if/when the FDR and CVR get released to the public.  Not all accidents are released.  Hopefully they let these out.

Offline gstream

« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2009, 03:27:46 AM »
i have audios available

Offline glencar

« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »
Comair sucked anyway, no? Good luck getting on with someone else.

No, I wouldn't agree.  Some may.  A friend (controller) once told me "A job is what you make of it".  I never let any of the politics get to me.  I just came to work and flew my planes.  It was my lifelong dream to fly for Comair.  So I got to live my dream for 2 years.  But the economy has forced me to move on.

But we're starting to get a bit off topic.

Any guesses as to if/when the FDR and CVR get released to the public.  Not all accidents are released.  Hopefully they let these out.
The NTSB will be releasing the tapes shortly.

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2009, 03:41:04 AM »
An update on the a/c from TLS. This was pulled from the FDR.

ACCIDENT INFORMATION TELEX - ACCIDENT INFORMATION TELEX

SUBJECT: US AIRWAYS Flight US1549 ACCIDENT IN NEW YORK

OUR REF: USA US1549 AIT N°2 DATED 23rd JANUARY 2009
Previous ref: USA US1549 AIT N°1 DATED 16 JANUARY 2009

SUBJECT: US AIRWAYS Flight US1549 ACCIDENT IN NEW YORK

This is an update to the AIT N°1 issued on 16th January 2009.

The information which follow has been approved for release by the US National Transport Safety Board (NTSB) and represent the highlights from the initial analysis of the available data: mainly Digital Flight Data Recorder, aircraft components, ATC script and radar.

The A320 aircraft was operating a scheduled flight US1549 from New York, La Guardia airport to Charlotte, Virginia on 15th January 2009, when the aircraft ditched on the Hudson river shortly after take-off at 15:30 local time.

The aircraft performed a normal flex take-off in slats/flaps configuration 2 from La Guardia airport with the co-pilot as Pilot Flying.

At time T0, soon after the aircraft was in clean configuration at an airspeed of about 210kts, both engines suffered a simultaneous and sudden loss of thrust at about 3000ft pressure altitude. The engines N1 decreased abruptly to 35% and 15% on engines 1 & 2 respectively. This sudden and simultaneous loss of engine thrust is consistent with the reported bird strike on both engines and also with the initial observations from the remaining engine 2. (Recovery of engine 1 being still in progress).

The captain took immediately control of the aircraft making smooth nose-down pitch inputs to maintain the airspeed at about 200kts.

At approximately T0+20 sec, the crew changed the aircraft heading towards the Hudson river.

There was no more response from the engine N°2. The engine N°1 continued to deliver a minimum thrust (N1 around 35%) for about 2 minutes and 20 seconds after T0.

At approximately T0+2min20sec, the crew attempted at about 500ft/200kts a quick relight on engine 1 without success.

The crew then selected slat/flap configuration 2 which was achieved.

From then on and until the ditching, the heading remained almost constant. The speed decreased from 200kts to 130kts.

Ditching occurred 3 minutes and 30 seconds after the thrust loss in the following conditions:
- Airspeed was about 130kts (at the Gross Weight, Valpha max is 125kts and Valpha prot is 132kts)
- Pitch attitude was 10 degrees up and bank attitude was at 0 degree.
- Flaps and slats were in configuration 2. Landing gear up

It is to be noted that at all times during the event and up until the ditching, the normal electrical supply (AC and DC buses) and all three hydraulic systems were fully operational and the flight control law remained in Normal law.

In line with ICAO Annex 13 International convention, the US NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) continues the investigation assisted by Accredited Representatives from the French BEA (Bureau d'Enquêtes et d'Analyses) as State of aircraft manufacturer. Airbus continues to support the NTSB investigation with advisors on-site and in the various investigation working groups.

Airbus has no specific recommendations at this stage. Should there be the need for recommendation as a result of the investigation, operators will be notified accordingly.

VICE PRESIDENT FLIGHT SAFETY
AIRBUS

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2009, 07:49:26 PM »
Interesting that some influential media here in the States are now questioning the official account of this accident.

Specifically they are wondering if a December 2008 airworthiness directive (AD) regarding inspection of these engines coupled with the fact that this very aircraft experienced a compressor stall two days earlier may be signals that the bird strike was not the primary cause of the engine failure.

We'll see if this goes anywhere.

Offline PHXCONXrunner

« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2009, 03:38:32 AM »
Interesting that some influential media here in the States are now questioning the official account of this accident.

Specifically they are wondering if a December 2008 airworthiness directive (AD) regarding inspection of these engines coupled with the fact that this very aircraft experienced a compressor stall two days earlier may be signals that the bird strike was not the primary cause of the engine failure.

We'll see if this goes anywhere.

To steal from someone else:

A compressor stall is an aerodynamic phenomenon.  Birds hitting your plane is physical damage.  The media will try to portray the engines as "unsafe if a bird hits it", but it's true of any engine.

Offline atcman23

« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2009, 07:18:24 AM »
I like an article that I read that said that bird ingestion might cause a compressor stall.

How about this:

Bird ingestion might cause engine failure.

Offline Hollis

« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2009, 11:27:10 AM »
And if you don't believe it, just take a look:

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2009, 11:46:43 AM »
While indeed an interesting video, the description is wrong (title is correct).  A bird ingestion, is most cases, will not release a fan blade.  The damage occurs further down in the engine to the compressor blades and burner cans (fan blades will be bent too though).

I have a video from the FAA all about turbine engine modes of failure.  It is a great video, with lots of examples of just these problems.  The entire video is over 20 mins long.  But I cannot upload it as the file is 84Mb.

Try searching for "Engine Malfunctions: Recognition and Response" and you might find it out there.