Author Topic: Point me in the right direction  (Read 7134 times)

Offline WayneA

Point me in the right direction
« on: May 15, 2008, 12:39:21 PM »
If this is not the correct forum for my problem perhaps you could point me to a message board/website that could help?

My boss would like to have an hour of recorded air traffic control communication (no dead air) from our local airport as the phone system "hold music" in our new building.

Being the IT person this has fallen on me. Our airport (Wichita, KS) isn't listed on the LiveACT feeds.  I could buy a scanner, an antenna and then figure out how to record just communication with no dead air but that seems like overkill of time and money with a good chance of failure.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Point me in the right direction
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 01:11:23 PM »
Am I correct that your business is NOT directly located at the airport (on-site FBO, etc)?

If not, my first thought is to go to one of the FBOs at the airport and ask them if they are currently scanning local ATC frequencies.  This is very common at FBOs.

If they are, try to sell them on the idea of becoming a feeder for LiveATC.net, since all they would need to do would be to plug the scanner into a nearby PC's soundcard and install a small app (that is provided free by Dave here at LiveATC).  You could print off one of the PDF posters that are stickied to the top of this board to bring with you.

In return, they would receive free advertising for their FBO and they would be providing a great service to all the Wichita local pilots and especially the student pilots.

When all that is set up the archiving feature of this site would be saving up to 30 days of communications and you could simply download one of the files and edit out the dead-air.  :) :)

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 01:46:09 PM »
Another thought:  Why does it have to be recorded?  Wouldn't it be much more slick if it were live ATC being streamed to those customers on hold?  Is your boss concerned that there would be too much dead air?   

With Wichita being a class C airport hosting over 460 operations per day (almost 75% more than my local airport), I can speculate that this feed would rarely have too long a dead air segment during normal business hours.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 02:19:40 PM »
Another thought:  Why does it have to be recorded?  Wouldn't it be much more slick if it were live ATC being streamed to those customers on hold?  Is your boss concerned that there would be too much dead air?   

With Wichita being a class C airport hosting over 460 operations per day (almost 75% more than my local airport), I can speculate that this feed would rarely have too long a dead air segment during normal business hours.

And to take it a step further than that, with McConnell AFB being only 8nm from ICT, and Cessna's main base of operations the same distance away, you'd have a lot of traffic coming through such a feed, leaving little or no dead air at all! If they are at the field, such as an FBO or so, you'll have line of sight with ICT Tower, and the TRACON/RAPCON (I'm assuming the TRACON is at IAB). That'd make a pretty powerful feed.

BL.