Author Topic: question about Routes  (Read 9657 times)

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
question about Routes
« on: December 23, 2008, 07:04:07 AM »
could you tell me what the red highlighted part means ?

KJFK NEION J223 CORDS CFB V29 SYR KSYR

I know everything else except the red highlighted one is VORs and Navids , but what is J229 and V29 ?

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: question about Routes
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 07:14:18 AM »
Jet route 223 and Victor airway 29

In US airspace, jet routes and victor airways are virtual "highways" in the sky, both made up of predefined, connecting radials off VORs.   Victor airways are low altitude airways, or airways meant to be used at or below 18,000 feet, that are found on the low altitude en route IFR charts while jet routes are airways meant to be used above 18,000 feet and are found on high altitude en route IFR charts.

Here's the relevant screenshot from a high altitude IFR chart showing J223 and CORDS:

And here is the low altitude chart showing V29 and SYR:

You can browse these IFR charts online at http://skyvector.com/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:16:03 AM by KSYR-pjr »

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 03:49:42 PM »
Jet route 223 and Victor airway 29

In US airspace, jet routes and victor airways are virtual "highways" in the sky, both made up of predefined, connecting radials off VORs.   Victor airways are low altitude airways, or airways meant to be used at or below 18,000 feet, that are found on the low altitude en route IFR charts while jet routes are airways meant to be used above 18,000 feet and are found on high altitude en route IFR charts.

Here's the relevant screenshot from a high altitude IFR chart showing J223 and CORDS:

And here is the low altitude chart showing V29 and SYR:

You can browse these IFR charts online at http://skyvector.com/

OHHHH . got ya , now i know what syracuse tower controllers are saying when 'Join V35' 

Thanks Peter

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 03:59:08 PM »
OHHHH . got ya , now i know what syracuse tower controllers are saying when 'Join V35' 

Oops, a minor correction:  SYR tower controllers might provide a second heading beyond runway heading (most times they simply let the IFR aircraft remain on the initial runway heading, though), but it's the departure control gang that handles that "join victor airways" stuff that you are thinking of.  :)

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 04:01:25 PM »
Ha, and I see now that my arrow was pointing to V35, not V29 that you had asked about.  You can see V29 as the other north/south airway to the right of V35 in that screenshot.   Sorry about that...

edit:  Note the bend in the V29 airway.  The nice thing about airways is that they are "shorthand" for clearance delivery controllers - simply giving V29 with a termination at SYR implies that the aircraft must take that lefthand jog at CORTA.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 04:03:24 PM by KSYR-pjr »

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 04:10:58 PM »
Ha, and I see now that my arrow was pointing to V35, not V29 that you had asked about.  You can see V29 as the other north/south airway to the right of V35 in that screenshot.   Sorry about that...

edit:  Note the bend in the V29 airway.  The nice thing about airways is that they are "shorthand" for clearance delivery controllers - simply giving V29 with a termination at SYR implies that the aircraft must take that lefthand jog at CORTA.

Ohh that was departure guyy  gotya.   I spotted V29 too so no worries =) . Ic , Thanks 

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 05:16:18 PM »
In Canada you might also hear other low-level airways.

They are rarely used nowadays, but are still legal/active. Most of them are between NDBs and not VORs:

Amber, Bravo, Golf, Romeo.

You can see them by going to my map at:

http://flightplan.blakecrosby.com/?zoom=3&lat=7474929.86902&lon=-10194865.08314

Click on the little blue plus on the top right hand corner of the map and select which airway you'd like to see.

There are Tango airways (only three of them) and are for RNAV equipped airplanes. They are simply airways between intersections.

Offline Аэрофлот Jr.

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 06:07:48 PM »
In Canada you might also hear other low-level airways.

They are rarely used nowadays, but are still legal/active. Most of them are between NDBs and not VORs:

Amber, Bravo, Golf, Romeo.

You can see them by going to my map at:

http://flightplan.blakecrosby.com/?zoom=3&lat=7474929.86902&lon=-10194865.08314

Click on the little blue plus on the top right hand corner of the map and select which airway you'd like to see.

There are Tango airways (only three of them) and are for RNAV equipped airplanes. They are simply airways between intersections.

great map thanks