airtraffic

Author Topic: Question about Toronto CYYZ  (Read 6408 times)

Offline jvnanu

Question about Toronto CYYZ
« on: July 14, 2014, 02:10:32 PM »
Lately I've been getting back into listening to ATC and I notice that when planes call the tower on final approach they report their position over some point. For example, they'll report over Rexdale for runway 23, or over what sounds like Noah, and what sounds like Qurix(sp?) for 24L/R. Is there a map that shows where these points are so that when I look up in the sky I can actually figure out which planes are where? I took a look at a sectional chart but it didn't show these.

Offline jermscentral

Re: Question about Toronto CYYZ
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 02:18:45 PM »
Check out SkyVector (http://skyvector.com/?ll=43.677222222,-79.630555556&chart=302&zoom=3), which shows the reporting points from their NDB. You can get specific points for each runway by looking at the approach plates for each runway on this PDF: http://www.fly-sea.com/charts/CYYZ.pdf.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:21:15 PM by jermscentral »

Offline jvnanu

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
Thanks guys! That's what I'm looking for.

swa, they seem to be the point where they switch over from approach to tower. I'll listen to the approach frequency and I'll hear something like "turn right heading 270 to join, at NOAHA call tower 118.7" type of thing. I find most pilots checking in with tower will report where they are, others will just say "with you for 24l" or "on the visual 24l" or "ils 24l" without reporting their position over that marker. I guess it's all a matter of preference.

Offline martyj19

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 08:47:55 PM »
The only time you have to report your position is when you have an instruction to do it.  You might for example get "cleared for the ILS runway 14, report the outer marker".  In many larger towers they will have a radar display, so they can see you coming whether or not you report.  An airport this size will have an agreement between the approach control and the tower as to how arrivals will be presented for the tower to pick up, and in the case you cited, the agreement is to present them at NOAHA and have them contact tower then.  The arrival will have already been coordinated between the approach controller and the tower controller so the tower controller is expecting the contact.  So you're correct that without being required to do so, it is a matter of preference, and it does no harm to have the position confirmed to the tower controller.