Author Topic: Range Question...  (Read 16059 times)

Offline Jambone

Range Question...
« on: August 28, 2008, 04:59:28 AM »
What sort of range do you reckon I will get with this:

http://www.antennawarehouse.com/Scanner/Scanduck.htm

I dont live too far from my local airport and I'm just curious as to whether it's worth it?

Cheers
James

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
Re: Range Question...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 05:51:59 AM »
What is limiting your range now? Signal, Interference/Noise or Obstacles?

I generally recommend a simple outdoor antenna; it will give similar signal strength to the "superducky", but can be placed at some distance from your house-noise-generators and a bit higher to look over obstacles.

Offline Jambone

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 06:55:33 AM »
I currently don't have a scanner, I'm looking at this one:
http://www.radioscan.co.uk/ar108.html

But I dunno how good it's range is and would like to know if this antenna will fit the job if it doesnt, I'm only about 10 miles from EGBB though so I dunno.

Offline m50

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 08:37:59 AM »
I have a little bit of experience useing something similar.........being about 15 miles from eidw I find signal strength of ground transmissions.a bit hit and miss...there is a fairly clear line of visiblity from my location and the airport,,,,,,,,,M50

Offline Jambone

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 08:46:13 AM »
Thanks - I should be fine, I'm only 6 miles away from the airport ( :-o), should pick it up nicely  8-)

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 09:44:25 AM »
Jambone - I own a Maycom AR-108, and live 4 miles from the local airport. With the included antenna you can pick up both ground and tower transmissions. Indoors the signal strength and audio quality suffers a lot with reduced signal strength and increased noise. Outdoors the signal strength increases considerably. The AR-108 does not have a BNC type connector like the Scanduck antenna.
Also the Maycom is not "user friendly" as the Uniden radios. I found it hard to program and use. Audio output is not that great either if your outside an a noisy environment.

Maybe someone out there can suggest a radio for you? In my experience the Maycom AR-108 is good for single channel monitoring in a quiet location and in very close proximity to an airport.

Hope this info helps? If I have some time later today I can put together a signal comparison audio file for you.

Ken

Offline Jambone

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 10:23:19 AM »
That's great thanks Ken, definitely could sway my decision.

Does anyone know of a decent, fairly cheap, user friendly radio with good range?

Is this one any good: http://tinyurl.com/67q7bl ?

Also could I plug a headset into it?

Thanks
James
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 10:34:32 AM by Jambone »

Offline MattG

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 05:04:37 PM »
That's great thanks Ken, definitely could sway my decision.

Does anyone know of a decent, fairly cheap, user friendly radio with good range?

Is this one any good: http://tinyurl.com/67q7bl ?

Also could I plug a headset into it?

Thanks
James

I have this radio and I love it.  When I am inside the house I hear mostly aircraft communications (especially aircraft that pass overhead on the JAWBN1 arrival into KSEA).  If I go outside I am able to hear SOME controller communications, but it is hit and miss (depends on your location of course).  I find this radio to be VERY user friendly.  It is a receiver only, but you are able to plug headphones into it (the plug is inbetween the antenna and the knobs).

I have had this radio for almost a couple years now and am not planning on getting rid of it.

Offline Jambone

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 05:21:34 PM »
Great thanks, I'm only 6 miles away, I should be able to get decent signal for ATC as well, but if not...I'll get a better antenna :P

Cheers :D

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 12:39:54 AM »
Jambone - Here is the audio file of Oakland ATIS. I made two recordings, one from outside my balcony and one inside, then spliced the audio tracks together alternating between "outside" and "inside". The inside has more noticeable background noise. Recording made from the Maycom AR-108 handheld with stock antenna. Distance 4 miles.

Hope this helps?

PS: I definitely would look into the Uniden BC72XLT MattG pointed out. Unidens are much more "User Friendly" and that model does have a BNC antenna connector.

Offline Jambone

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 05:15:48 AM »
That's not bad quality, but I will probably go for the Uniden as if it doesn't quite get the range constantly, I can just fit a BNC antenna to it.

Thanks for the help all :)

Offline ect76

• EGPH
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 07:33:56 PM »
Just to add, the Uniden is truly a great radio. Are you US or UK based? If UK, I've got a UBC72XLT for sale (I've just bought a UBC92XLT)! And if not, Never mind!

Brilliant radio, far better than the Maycom (In my opinion...) - I've had both. Love the Close Call feature too - Great for picking up PMRs and the like.

Good luck!

My Mistake! Should have noticed you say you're close to Birmingham. I've got a 72XLT for sale...Was going to put it on eBay but if you're interested - PM me!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:37:30 PM by ect76 »

Offline Jacko

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 09:03:50 AM »
I had a Uniden UBC92XLT, and even after a thorough baking (like serious warping the the battery cover) on my brothers dashboard the radio worked fine. At the time I also had batteries in it too and the display was totally black. I have since then donated the scanner to a friend. I have a Uniden UBCT-9 on order and should be arriving soon ( http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_ubct9_index.asp ).

So to sum up the UBC92XLT is a rugged radio and offers very nice functionality, the only thing it lacks is trunk tracking. But for the airband that's not an essential feature to have.

Also other brands to check out are Yaesu and iCom

hope this helps,
Scott