Author Topic: Scanner logging  (Read 6173 times)

Offline Fuzzyjets

Scanner logging
« on: November 09, 2014, 12:49:02 AM »
Hello all,

Does anyone know if the BCS340 scanner sends frequency information within the audio output ?  IE., is it possible with appropriate software to log which freqs scanned are live ?  I want to turn my scanner on, leave it for 2-3 days and then recover the freqs that are live.

I thought that I saw this on YouTube, but can't find it anymore.  Or am I dreaming ?

Fuzzyjets

Offline InterpreDemon

Re: Scanner logging
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »
I think you are having a nice dream. Though it is certainly possible to multiplex channel or other data into the audio (in fact I have set up remote repeater input voting systems that fed discriminator signal strength data via a modulated sub-audible tone carrier), I have never heard of any scanners doing it. They certainly could put a digital stream in there that would easily be filtered out of the listening audio if they wanted to, and you could doubtless filter and decode it with a sound card and suitable software, but since that would not be a widely desired consumer feature I can't imagine them adding it to a bedside clock-radio scanner. As far as I know, the only way at present is to run remote programming software such as ScanControl on a PC connected to a PC-capable scanner such as a BC 780... a combination I have used and which works extremely well. Not only can you remotely program via LAN or internet, but the program will log transmissions by frequency and time as you are dreaming.

Offline Fuzzyjets

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 11:04:01 AM »
Hello InterpreDemon,

I was reading the BC780xlt manual on line.  It's a pdf file.  On page 19 there is mention of "Auto Store."  I called Uniden and according to them, it will do what I want.  Have you tried it ?  And if so, did it do what you wanted ?  Please get back to me.  Thanks

Fuzz

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 04:25:47 PM »
Auto-store will do that in search mode... searches a frequency range and stores any channels that had any activity (up to the limit of bank capacity) however that will not tell you how busy any particular channel is. Once you auto-store a bank full of frequencies you could then scan that bank and use control software (such as ScanControl) that would log the activity for each channel stored in the bank that you were scanning and get an idea as to which ones are busiest.

Offline Fuzzyjets

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:06:31 PM »
Inter,

Actually I don't need to know or even care about how busy a particular freq is.  For Liveatc.net purposes I only need to know that it could be active.  For instance when a ARTCC frequency fails the stand-by is used and that particular freq would not be very busy only until then.  Where I live there can be as many as 40 frequencies active.  Granted some would be the standby for others, but I still need to know they are there.

Thanks for your input and pointing me to the BC780.  Now if I can find one reasonably priced..........

Fuzz