airtraffic

Author Topic: SFO feed update  (Read 38999 times)

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
SFO feed update
« on: September 10, 2004, 12:29:27 PM »
The original intention was to stream SQL TWR/GND during the day, then a bunch of SFO freqs (twr, gnd, del, two ramps, ual ops, ual maint) at night.

In response to the demand for SFO TWR, though, I'm going to add SFO_TWR to the mix 24x5 (mon-fri).

On the weekend days, it will still just be SQL TWR/GND.

I'd appreciate ppl's feedback here.

Keith

Offline IndyTower

SFO feed update
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 01:00:17 PM »
Personally, I love hearing SFO tower/ground.  Weeks ago, someone started a thread asking what feeds we'd like to hear, and 2 on my list were PDX and SFO...both of which have been added!  Nothing against San Carlos...I'm sure there are people listening to hear that traffic also.  Hopefully there will be enough feedback for you to determine how to manage the feed.  
I'd love SFO on 24/7...but your location seems to be optimal for picking up both, so I don't want to take away from those wanting San Carlos.  A mix is fine...builds the anticipation for when SFO is on and makes it that much sweeter.  Thanks for asking for feedback!
Matt

Offline Jeff

• http://heliosj.iddings.us
SFO feed update
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 02:54:28 PM »
Quote from: IndyTower
Personally, I love hearing SFO tower/ground.  Weeks ago, someone started a thread asking what feeds we'd like to hear, and 2 on my list were PDX and SFO...both of which have been added!  Nothing against San Carlos...I'm sure there are people listening to hear that traffic also.  Hopefully there will be enough feedback for you to determine how to manage the feed.  
I'd love SFO on 24/7...but your location seems to be optimal for picking up both, so I don't want to take away from those wanting San Carlos.  A mix is fine...builds the anticipation for when SFO is on and makes it that much sweeter.  Thanks for asking for feedback!
Matt

Maybe we can all pool our resources and get him the equipment he needs to do both? :) If he's willing.

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
he's willing
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 05:39:19 PM »
He has a another computer available, and bandwidth available...just needs another scanner :)

Keith

Offline Jeff

SFO feed update
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 06:18:09 PM »
You don't need another computer, just another sound card..

I might still have a couple of older VHF scanners in the closet. I could dig them out and see what still works. If I don't, I can surely pick one up at the next hamfest in a month..  assuming that Ivan and whatever is to follow doesn't destroy us.

Offline dsviper22

SFO feed update
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 11:59:38 PM »
Quote from: Jeff
You don't need another computer, just another sound card..

You might also be able to pick up a USB sound card for pretty cheap. I got mine for $40 at a local electronics store and it works great.

Offline Cetacea

SFO feed update
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 12:33:34 AM »
Do you have to have another antenna or can you use a T to connect 2 scanners to one antenna?

Offline Jeff

SFO feed update
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 07:17:52 AM »
Quote from: Cetacea
Do you have to have another antenna or can you use a T to connect 2 scanners to one antenna?

That would probably work just fine. I'd ask Dave for sure though. :)

Hey, I've always wondered.. what's the make up of controllers in Okinawa. Are they all military?

Offline Cetacea

SFO feed update
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 06:53:22 PM »
We are all military in the Tower and mostly in the RAPCON.  We have 3 DoD civilians that work.  In a few months though, we are supposed to get a few Japanese controllers to train in the RAPCON.

Offline freedomtofly

Thank you Keith
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 09:40:37 PM »
Thanks for the SFO/SQL feed. I was waiting for someone to add that someday. Since SQL is my home airport I really like hearing ATC from there and I also am a big fan of SFO because I fly out of there whenever I travel. So basically, thank you keith for the great addon which even includes moffet field. AWESOME!!  :D

~Aaron

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
new antenna
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 03:46:15 PM »
I'm going to try to score a new antenna to improve the SFO reception.  I'm finding the SFO TWR/GND aren't that clear during the afternoons.

There's a scanner store near the house in downtown San Carlos called Scanners Unlimited. I will stop in tomorrow morning on the way to work..

Keith

Offline freedomtofly

SFO feed update
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 10:47:19 PM »
Yes I  know that store. Hopefully you can get the new scanner up and running soon. I wanted to buy one but I think they are in the 100 dollar range and I'm not sure if I want to spend that kind of money right now. Anyway, good luck with the new scanner and hopefully it will do the job.

~Aaron

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
quality improved
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2004, 03:27:47 PM »
I'm not sure if it's because of a change in weather, or because I moved the scanner 4 inches to the left, but the reception of SFO has improved quite a bit, to the point where I'm not pining for a new antenna.

I hope you guys are enjoying.

Keith

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
tower freq change
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2004, 04:54:02 PM »
They're using another tower freq today, 128.65, not sure why. That's why you're only hearing the controller side and no pilots. I'll add it to the scan list tonight.

Keith

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
feed down today
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2004, 11:38:42 AM »
I'm taking the scanner to the Salinas airshow today, so the SFO feed will be down until this evening.

Keith

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
demise of the SFO feed
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2004, 11:22:08 AM »
I'll be moving to the east coast in mid-late November...which will spell the demise for the existing SFO/San Carlos/Moffett feed. Sorry, guys!  If someone else can pick up the job, please do so!

Keith

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
falling apart
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2004, 02:34:34 PM »
The laptop which has been dutifully streaming SFO/SQL for the last month seems to be going into hibernate mode every now and then. I will check the settings tonight when I get home.  In the mean time, I think it's offline.

Also, I'm relocating to east coast on Nov 18, so the feed will go down permanently at that time, hopefully to be replaced by a Newark feed :)

Keith

Offline IndyTower

SFO feed update
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 04:04:20 PM »
Just wanted to thank you one more time for providing this feed.  After I head to Oke City for training, I hope to get to SFO tower eventually.  The feed will be sorely missed...we appreciate the time that we got!  And thanks for volunteering to run another feed at your new location!
Matt

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
added PAO tower
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2004, 04:18:57 PM »
Hi Guys,

The feed is only going to be up for another 2 weeks or so, but I added Palo Alto tower (KPAO) on 118.60 to the list of scanned freqs.

Keith

Offline freedomtofly

Goodbye and good luck
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 09:09:50 PM »
Keith,
I am gonna miss the SFO/SQL feed very much, but when you get to the east coast and set up a newark feed then I'll make sure to listen to that. You'll be greeted with plenty of snow there ,but it should make for nice christmas or hannukah. Once again goodbye and have fun. :D