Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 01:15:12 AM
Home Help Login Register      
News: NEW Follow LiveATC updates on Twitter and Facebook

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Listener Forum (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  Shuttle Discovery takes final flight on jumbo. KIAD feed tops 1,667 listeners
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shuttle Discovery takes final flight on jumbo. KIAD feed tops 1,667 listeners  (Read 16681 times)
kyle172

« on: April 17, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47070577/ns/technology_and_science-space/t/space-shuttle-discovery-takes-final-flight-jumbo-jet/

If you don't see it first then I probably will..
tyketto

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 02:51:33 PM »

KLGA and KLAX are going to be nuts later this year, when Enterprise and Endeavour make their trips, with Enterprise being the next up.

BL.
kdrive23

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 03:56:20 PM »

I listened to the IAD ATC while watching live news broadcasts, which was really nifty.  

I wonder if anyone has a recording of DCA ATC?  I was out on the Memorial Bridge and since I don't have a smartypants phone, I wasn't able to listen to DCA's feed as it flew over downtown (got back to the office in time to listen to IAD).

Just figured out I can listen to the archives  tongue
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:09:17 PM by kdrive23 » Logged
tyketto

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 05:46:01 PM »

gotta correct myself here. Enterprise will be flying into JFK on Monday, so expect that superfeed to be hit.

The question I now have is for Endeavour. That's on the east coast, and I doubt, unless they plan on burning that much fuel, that they'll make that trip to LAX nonstop. We know the LAX feed will be covered, but what are the odds that Endeavour will stop somewhere else overnight?

BL.
Sirius

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 11:21:43 PM »

I was out taking picture of the arrival to IAD.  Was listening to the feed so I could track the aircraft.

gotta correct myself here. Enterprise will be flying into JFK on Monday, so expect that superfeed to be hit.

The question I now have is for Endeavour. That's on the east coast, and I doubt, unless they plan on burning that much fuel, that they'll make that trip to LAX nonstop. We know the LAX feed will be covered, but what are the odds that Endeavour will stop somewhere else overnight?

BL.

Normally, the 747-100 has a 5,500 nautical mile range, cruses in the 30,000's and has a .84 mach cruise speed.  According to wiki: while the shuttle is on it's back, those numbers change to a max 1,500 nm range, max cruise alt of 15,000 ft and a cruse of .60 mach.  So, they would be making stops cross country for fuel.  Trying to find an accurate source to verify those numbers.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:32:30 PM by Sirius » Logged
jmx53

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 02:21:18 AM »

Schedule info for Enterprise ferry flight as released by NASA:
NASA's 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA) with space shuttle Enterprise mounted atop  is scheduled to arrive between 9:30 and 11:30 a.m. EDT  on Monday, April 23.   If all goes as planned, the aircraft is expected to fly at a relatively low altitude near a variety of landmarks in the metropolitan area, including the Statue of Liberty and the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum. When the flyover is complete, the SCA will land at John F. Kennedy International Airport.  It will stay at JFK for 2 months then be transported by barge to the USS Intrepid and placed in a temporary shelter on the deck of the ship until a permanent display building for it is constructed across the street.
http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2012/apr/M12-071_SCA_Enterprise_NYC_Flyover.html
http://collectspace.com/news/news-030112a.html

Official NASA Performance information for Shuttle Carrier Aircraft:
Airspeed limits with, and without an orbiter: 250 knots or Mach 0.6
Altitude: Typical cruise with orbiter, 13,000-15,000 ft; typical cruise unmated, 24,000-26,000 ft. Minimum temperature at altitude 15 degrees (F) (-9 degrees C)
Range: Typical mated, 1000 nautical miles (with reserves); maximum unmated, 5500 nautical miles.
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/news/FactSheets/FS-013-DFRC.html

So the ferry flight for Shuttle Endeavour to LAX will probably be similar to this description of transporting Shuttle Discovery from Edwards AFB to Kennedy Space Center in 2005 said: "The cross-country ferry flight to return Discovery to Florida after it's landing in California will take two days, with stops at several intermediate points for refueling."  
The ferry flight will be in September 2012.
Endeavour will temporarily be displayed horizontal as if it just landed, but future plans are to display this in the vertical with solid rocket boosters and an external tank. "It is going to be an incredible exhibit if that all comes to fruition," said STS-134 commander Mark Kelly."  
http://collectspace.com/news/news-101411a.html

More info about all of the retired shuttles:  http://collectspace.com/shuttles/

Info about the Shuttle trainer to be displayed at Museum of Flight in Seattle:  http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2018003693_shuttle18m.html
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:23:08 AM by jmx53 » Logged
iskyfly

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »

Endeavour's target departure date from KSC is mid September.

Weather and weight, among other things, are factors that are taken in to consideration for ferry flights. The orbiters are considerably lighter since T&R servicing.

As with the DC flight, exact routing and planned stops will be held close to the vest for security reasons.
NoMad

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 10:28:21 PM »

It was an amazing sight to see.  We were all up on the roof of the building in DC watching.  They buzzed downtown DC three times.  So awesome.  Photos from the roof...

Pluto 95, party of two!

Buzzing DCA

Buzzing the US Capital

Over the Lincoln Memorial

Over the Washington Monument

Behind the monument and US Post Office bell tower
cptbrw

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 07:42:26 AM »

Video of flyby and landing at IAD with ATC comms.

StuSEL

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 10:33:10 AM »

What an awesome tribute to such a successful program. The interest has me thinking that we'll (hopefully) be back at it again someday.

CFI ASEL
FAA AT-CTI
Feed maintainer for LAF and FNT
iskyfly

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »

The program was awe inspiring. The orbiter had to be probably the best flying machine in the world. I wished it kept flying. However, most would say that the program was a failure because it did not live up to its intended design. The loss of two vehicles and her crew didn't help also.

Sirius

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 01:57:07 PM »

Here are a few of my shots of the final approach into 1R at Dulles.  My location put me about 100 - 150 to the right of the center line and about 1/2 mile ahead of the threshold of the runway.

kdrive23

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 08:02:41 PM »

I got it over the Netherlands Carillon, Custiss Lee Mansion and the Air Force Memorial (from the Arlington Memorial Bridge)

joeyb747

Nothing Like A 747!

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 08:12:01 PM »

AWESOME PHOTOS GUYS!!!  cool

Thanks for sharing!!

Aircraft Mechanic
NoMad

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 09:42:11 PM »

Two other things I noticed from rooftop...

1) The entire city was up on the roofs staring into the sky taking pictures.  It was like Independence Day without the alien invasion.

2) Traffic was a dead stop everywhere.  People just stopped on the highway in the middle of the road to watch.

2a) I'm sure there were some PISSED OFF travelers at DCA who were stuck in a 45 minute ground stop waiting for this spectacle to conclude.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length