airtraffic

Author Topic: Sort of off topic, but funny sight nonetheless...  (Read 8171 times)

Offline wpestle

Sort of off topic, but funny sight nonetheless...
« on: April 29, 2011, 09:17:42 PM »
As I was driving back to Chicago from the northern suburbs today, guess what was riding next to me on a LARGE flatbed. Not your typical rush hour traffic. I assume it was coming from Oshkosh factory across the border in Wisconsin.

Any idea how it will travel to Pakistan?

Sorry for difference in picture quality, one was taken with my phone, other with my camera (not that I advise using either whilst driving :wink:).

Offline FrequencyChange

• Frequency Change Approved
Re: Sort of off topic, but funny sight nonetheless...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 09:59:19 PM »
Very cool!

Offline bjen9337

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 02:38:18 PM »
Hmmm... I wonder if this is another gift from the U.S. taxpayers?  :-o

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:11:03 PM »

I would think a ship like M/V Faust or one of her her sister ships would play a part in getting the truck across the ocean. The M/V Faust is the largest car carrier in the world. I saw a feature on HD Theater on this ship. They have a series called "Mighty Ships" that's pretty neat. She carries everything from BMW's to tractor-trailers!

The largest Car Carrier in the world is named motor vessel Faust. The ship is one of the interesting engineer outfits. The vessel was built in 2007 in the ship-yard of Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering DSME. The ship is sailing under the flag of Sweden and with its deadweight of 30,383 metric tons in maximum draft is the largest car carrier built ever. Well the number looks too low, but car carriers are designed to carry light cargoes, and their freeboards are too big. That is the main reason this one to have so little deadweight.  But m/v Faust has not so little measurements. The Gross Tonnage of the vessel is 71,583 metric tons, with a length of 228 meters and a beam of 33 meters. The maximum draft of m/v Faust is 11.5 meters and the Air Draft of the vessel is 52 meters. The capacity of the  ship is for nearly 8000 cars, but this large vessel is designed to carry not only cars, but also trucks.

http://www.ships-info.info/mer-Faust.htm

Below are a couple pics of the M/V Faust:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:19:46 PM by joeyb747 »

Offline wpestle

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 09:42:07 PM »
I would think a ship like M/V Faust or one of her her sister ships would play a part in getting the truck across the ocean. The M/V Faust is the largest car carrier in the world. I saw a feature on HD Theater on this ship. They have a series called "Mighty Ships" that's pretty neat.

Thanks joeyb747! I've seen the Faust or a sister ship up-close in the harbor in San Juan, Puerto Rico. They are truly immense ships.

As the truck wasn't headed towards KORD, I had sort of ruled out the possibility of air transport, although I imagine that one of the Russian super heavy lift cargo planes could handle a truck this size.

Thanks again!

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:56:45 PM »
 8-)

Offline Dave_B

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 03:01:32 PM »

I would think a ship like M/V Faust or one of her her sister ships would play a part in getting the truck across the ocean. The M/V Faust is the largest car carrier in the world. I saw a feature on HD Theater on this ship. They have a series called "Mighty Ships" that's pretty neat. She carries everything from BMW's to tractor-trailers!

The largest Car Carrier in the world is named motor vessel Faust. The ship is one of the interesting engineer outfits. The vessel was built in 2007 in the ship-yard of Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering DSME. The ship is sailing under the flag of Sweden and with its deadweight of 30,383 metric tons in maximum draft is the largest car carrier built ever. Well the number looks too low, but car carriers are designed to carry light cargoes, and their freeboards are too big. That is the main reason this one to have so little deadweight.  But m/v Faust has not so little measurements. The Gross Tonnage of the vessel is 71,583 metric tons, with a length of 228 meters and a beam of 33 meters. The maximum draft of m/v Faust is 11.5 meters and the Air Draft of the vessel is 52 meters. The capacity of the  ship is for nearly 8000 cars, but this large vessel is designed to carry not only cars, but also trucks.

Just curious - why of all the cargo ships in the world would this particular vehicle go by this particular ship? Because it is a truck?

Just wondering if I am missing something here.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 03:51:24 PM »

Just curious - why of all the cargo ships in the world would this particular vehicle go by this particular ship? Because it is a truck?

Just wondering if I am missing something here.

I forgot the phrase "or similar to..."  :wink:

Offline Dave_B

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 04:18:07 PM »
Okay. Just wondering. A truck like this many be carried by a wide variety of ships. It doesn't take some sort of giant vessel made specifically for carrying vehicles. For that matter, there are airplanes that could carry that thing.