airtraffic

Author Topic: STOLEN PLANE HAS LANDED IN MISSOURI  (Read 13420 times)

Offline chefnoel

Offline penguin44

Re: STOLEN PLANE HAS LANDED IN MISSOURI
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 03:14:12 AM »
Which flight school was it taken from?

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 06:36:37 AM »
It was from our crazy friends to the north

kea001

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:41:22 AM »
In the meantime, you might want to check the Thunder Bay feed to see if there is anything worth passing on.

"The plane was reported taken from a flight school in Thunder Bay, Ontario, about 3 p.m. Monday by a pilot identified as a student at the school, said Laura Brown of the Federal Aviation Administration."

I'd do it myself but I'm flying out of Phoenix back to the 'Great White North'.

Take off ya hosers.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/07/stolen.plane.pilot/index.html

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:43:08 AM by kea001 »

Offline VikVaughan

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:08:16 AM »
Damn, our invasion was foiled  :-(

The guy was an ex student of Confederation College http://www.confederationc.on.ca/flight-mgmt/general.asp

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 10:55:49 AM »
There was some chatter on the Thunder Bay feed.  Still assembling the audio.  No comms detected yet with the Cessna but lots of chatter with arriving and departing aircraft referencing the NORDO aircraft.

Dave

Offline MSN ATC

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »
There is audio of two F-16s launching from Madison (KMSN) just before 5:00 pm local time.  Nothing too exciting.  Not sure why they why they were on the civilian comm frequency though.

Offline RV1

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 12:31:52 PM »
I'm not sure if you monitor it, but on 121.5 we heard the fighter pilot attempt to contact the Cessna pilot twice last night while we were working. On any given shift there is always some chatter on 121.5. Usually it's a pilot broadcasting on the wrong freq. This is often followed by an "On guard" transmission. Sometimes it's one air carrier trying to contact another carrier for ATC. Last night, after the fighter pilot stated "You have been intercepted by U.S. Military, State your intentions", it was very quiet on that freq!

Offline MSN ATC

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 01:18:19 PM »
I'm not sure if you monitor it, but on 121.5 we heard the fighter pilot attempt to contact the Cessna pilot twice last night while we were working. On any given shift there is always some chatter on 121.5. Usually it's a pilot broadcasting on the wrong freq. This is often followed by an "On guard" transmission. Sometimes it's one air carrier trying to contact another carrier for ATC. Last night, after the fighter pilot stated "You have been intercepted by U.S. Military, State your intentions", it was very quiet on that freq!

What time were you monitoring and from where?

Offline jmcmanna

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »
I was sitting in the GRB Tracon, sometime between 5 and 6pm, and twice heard "(callsign), you have been intercepted by air defense fighters.  If you hear this transmission, rock your wings.  State your intentions, and do you require assistance?"

I don't remember the callsign, but it was a Canadian tail number.

Offline MSN ATC

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 02:05:38 PM »
GRB would be too far north for the MSN feed to pick up.  I listened again and didn't hear anything on 121.5 out of MSN yesterday afternoon.

Offline otto_pilot

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 02:59:46 PM »
I saw the AP story on my comcast home page......a student pilot stole a 172 from Thunder Bay Canada flew into the us and was intercepted by f-16 near Wisconsin and made it down to Missouri before landing on a road. any audio?

Offline Eagle 1

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 04:03:05 PM »
NORAD Press Release: http://www.norad.mil/News/2009/040609_a.html
DoD Press Release: http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=53822

Did anyone manage to record the event? I'd really like to hear it.

Offline flyboy2757

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 09:31:21 PM »
I am the host of the CYQT feed. There isn't very much regarding the aircraft in question, but there are a couple clips including the vehicle chasing after the aircraft and twr/app warnings of the aircraft. Will post the recording when able.

For reference you can use the ATCfeed recordings database and search April 6th, 2009, CYQT feed @ 1830-1900Zulu. The clip where the aircraft is being called starts around 25:00 minutes. It continues occasionally into the 1900Z-1930Z clip.

Some static bits where there seems to be a transmission but nothing is heard clearly are transmissions by the college's dispatch frequency trying to contact the aircraft.

Offline thult33

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 11:49:41 PM »

Yeah, unlike our crazy friends from the south, who, through American flight schools, and inept customs officials that let the terrorists into you country, to
train and fly not 172's, but 767's into the WTC.  You are really getting tiresome with your ignorance.

kea001

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
I took 'crazy friends from the North' as a compliment and put Grant McConachie  in that category.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_McConachie

For a good read, try  A Bush Pilot With A Briefcase; The Happy-Go-Lucky Story of Grant McConachie. (1972 - Doubleday, Toronto & New York)
ISBN 0-385-07049-7, by Ronald Keith.

but I think this Yavuz Berke might not be operating on all cylinders.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:20:13 AM by kea001 »

Offline longknecker

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 08:24:56 AM »

Yeah, unlike our crazy friends from the south, who, through American flight schools, and inept customs officials that let the terrorists into you country, to
train and fly not 172's, but 767's into the WTC.  You are really getting tiresome with your ignorance.

I think you went a little too far on this one Thult33.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 09:35:07 AM »
Enough with the insults, please.  I do not want to be forced to lock this thread.

kea001

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 09:45:24 AM »
Sorry Dave.  Sounds like Mr Burke/Leon may be overburdened.

From CTV:

Confederation College said Leon had access to Cessna training planes and security at the facility was not compromised.
It said Leon was readmitted to the program in the fall after failing in 2007, and that he passed his cross-country solo flying test last week.

"His faculty speak very highly of him," she said. "Everyone likes him. He was a very good student. He was very engaged in class. He asked great questions so he was an all-around good student."

It's also commendable that U.S. authorities reacted the way they did and handled the matter as they would any other potential suicide, with considerable constraint and compassion.

from CTV:

"He was actually in a little better spirits than I thought he would be for a person who was suicidal," Watson said. "He seemed to want to talk and for people to know why he had done what he had done."

He also was hungry. Troopers ordered pizza for him after he said he had gone 24 hours without eating, Watson said.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090407/Pilot_cdn_090408/20090408?hub=Canada
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:51:32 AM by kea001 »