Author Topic: SuperBowl!  (Read 20208 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
SuperBowl!
« on: January 31, 2008, 08:42:48 PM »
SuperBowlAirspace.com Gives Pilots, Aviation Buffs, Unique Access to Phoenix Skies

The Arizona skies will be full of private jets and commercial flights this weekend as spectators jet into Phoenix for Super Bowl XLII and the Phoenix-FBR Open Golf Tournament. SuperBowlAirspace.com gives travelers and the curious public an inside look at air traffic over Phoenix.

Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) February 1, 2008 -- A new spectator attraction, SuperBowlAirspace.com -- real-time monitoring of the crowded air lanes leading to and from the Phoenix area's nine airports -- has been added to the coverage of Super Bowl XLII and the Phoenix-FBR Open Golf Tournament.

From now through Feb. 6, visitors to SuperBowlAirspace.com will enjoy an unprecedented FAA air-traffic controller's audio/video view of the constantly changing radar images and pilot-to-controller radio communications regulating traffic between en route air traffic control centers, terminal approach controls, and airport control towers in and around Phoenix.

Sponsored by ATCMonitor.com, LiveATC.net, and SquawkVFR.com, SuperBowlAirspace.com will update its streaming video and audio feeds in virtual-real time. Visitors to the free, no-registration-required site will also have access to a tool for comparing current air traffic conditions of Phoenix airspace with historical data.

According to ATCMonitor CEO Joel Lesser, "having two world-class sporting events in one time period would generate substantial additional air traffic anywhere, especially when one of the events is as major as the Super Bowl. The additional demands on the Phoenix air traffic system are expected to be so heavy that the FAA has already officially warned pilots that radar services for Visual Flight Rules aircraft in the area may be greatly reduced and certain flight activities at satellite airports curtailed."

"Everything considered, the air show above Phoenix -- particularly the precision passing of an aircraft from one control level to the next -- should be at least as much fun to watch as the Super Bowl itself."

###

« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 06:28:55 PM by dave »

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: SuperBowl!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:14:17 PM »
Congratulations, Dave and the entire team who made this possible.   Looking forward to the action, both in the air and on the field.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:17:46 PM »
Pats 35-17

:-)

But the real question is how many listeners will the Phoenix feed crush JFK by?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net

Offline KPryor

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 11:58:59 PM »
This is very cool! :)

Offline cactushp

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 12:44:59 AM »
But the real question is how many listeners will the Phoenix feed crush JFK by?
Right now, there are 15 people listening in. I observed about 22 at one time earlier today...thats the most I have ever seen listening to the feed.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 02:18:40 AM »
Wait until this gets out to the crazies at A.net. then watch the feed numbers go up.

BL.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 02:15:21 PM »
Looks like Ive got some competition! Awesome idea Dave and the team!

Offline jsapyta

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 10:44:05 PM »
I just saw 38 listeners on PHX feed. Including me, even though I live near the stadium, I couldn't help you guys out with another feed.

Is it just me, but isn't the monitoring from SuperBowlAirspace.com off by as much 5 minutes?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:47:29 PM by jsapyta »

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 12:46:09 AM »
Is it just me, but isn't the monitoring from SuperBowlAirspace.com off by as much 5 minutes?

If there is intentional delay introduced into the Superbowl feeds that would be news to me.   As a (non Superbowl airspace) feeder I can tell you that our normal feeds do not have intentional delay.  Instead, there is inherent delay due to the process of encoding at the feed computer, transmitting up to LiveATC servers, streaming down to your computer, decoding the stream, and finally buffering by your media player.   Typically this delay is anywhere from one to three minutes.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 09:28:03 AM »
There is no delay being inserted at all.  We don't have the technical ability to do that right now with our streaming architecture, nor is there a legal requirement to do it. 

People will experience various amounts of delay, and it is dependent on a number of factors.  How much latency (delay) you have on your Internet connection at any given time, the speed of your PC, other programs running, etc.  It also depends on similar factors at the end of the connection where the feeder sites.

Our average latency is really in the 10-30 second range though it can and does vary a bit.

Dave

Offline jsapyta

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 01:02:57 PM »

If there is intentional delay introduced into the Superbowl feeds that would be news to me.   As a (non Superbowl airspace) feeder I can tell you that our normal feeds do not have intentional delay.  Instead, there is inherent delay due to the process of encoding at the feed computer, transmitting up to LiveATC servers, streaming down to your computer, decoding the stream, and finally buffering by your media player.   Typically this delay is anywhere from one to three minutes.

Hey SYR and Dave.

What I meant was the www.superbowlairspace.com images was about 5 minutes behind the audio. I didn't mean (intend) that cactushp(Scott's) feed was behind at all.

Sorry.

John

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 01:41:37 PM »
Hey SYR and Dave.

What I meant was the www.superbowlairspace.com images was about 5 minutes behind the audio. I didn't mean (intend) that cactushp(Scott's) feed was behind at all.

Sorry.

John

The FAA requires the radar feed on the site be delayed 5 minutes.

Jason

Offline cactushp

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 08:39:18 PM »
The P50 feed has 47 listeners and JFK has 86. Looks like JFK wins.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 08:07:22 AM »
Not sure what we peaked out at, but there was a point where KPHX listeners were almost double the JFK listeners.  I actually saw 125 listeners on Phoenix but didn't take a screenshot at the time :-)

I did manage to grab this one.

Dave

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 09:21:37 AM »
Not sure what we peaked out at, but there was a point where KPHX listeners were almost double the JFK listeners.  I actually saw 125 listeners on Phoenix but didn't take a screenshot at the time :-)

Sorry about your Pats, Dave.   The entire Northeast US east of the Connecticut River must be in a state of mourning today.   

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 09:26:06 AM »
Sorry about your Pats, Dave.   The entire Northeast US east of the Connecticut River must be in a state of mourning today.   

They both played one hell of a game.  That last pass to Burress with a half-minute was classic, in addition to Tyree's catch late in the 4th quarter.  What a game.

Glad to see a traffic spike on the PHX feed.  We'll have to make a deal with Budweiser for next year's aerial coverage.  :lol:

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 09:45:22 AM »

Oh, we lost? Damn!

:-)

It was a nail-biter for sure - congrats New York fans!

Now for a whole year of Manning brothers commercials.  :-)

-Dave