Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 05:41:54 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: NEW Follow LiveATC updates on Twitter and Facebook

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Listener Forum (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  SW 737 slid off runway at KMDW
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SW 737 slid off runway at KMDW  (Read 14607 times)
keithpilot

« on: December 08, 2005, 09:03:18 PM »

They are working the emergeny now.  News reports it slid off end, hit a car.  At least 1 injured.  Nothing confrimed, but they did have video of the ARFF response.

Keithpilot
jamall02864

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 09:22:01 PM »

ya im looking at it on cnn   its been a realy bad year for plane crashes this is like the 5 this year. it looks like every one is going to be fine but the people in the car could be in the most trubble i hope everyone is going to be ok
PIT

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 09:31:37 PM »

They just closed the airport due to the accident, wont open till 6 tommrow. thats basically what happens when you have that short of runways and bad runway conditions, and that large of jet.
ZOTAN

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 11:21:53 PM »

8 year old boy died in the car.....  Sad

Matt Stevens
Sirclown82

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 04:18:12 AM »

I hate WN's arrogance. The high level people for southwest here in Dallas said that because no one was hurt in the plane they still maintain an accident free safety record, no mention of the child on the ground that was killed when the plane skidded over the top of his parents car.  angry

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 12:07:18 PM »

ya thats not cool
Haribda

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 12:18:06 PM »

Well, if there was no snow, the kid wouldn't die. Wouldn't you agree? I mean, the plane would stop at the end on the runway if there was no snow, so I don't think we can blame the company/pilot/plane for this particular case. Simple, no snow - no outside fatality.
tyketto

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 01:01:39 PM »

Quote from: sirclown82
I hate WN's arrogance. The high level people for southwest here in Dallas said that because no one was hurt in the plane they still maintain an accident free safety record, no mention of the child on the ground that was killed when the plane skidded over the top of his parents car.  angry

Did you also happen to note that this was before the injury list came out and they had reported that there was 1 fatality? I heard the same thing, and that was well before they finally got the injury list.

BL.
Sirclown82

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 02:18:31 PM »

I heard it on the 10P news. I dont know when the list came out, but the child was pronounced dead immediatly and was all over the news. Don't get me wrong, i love WN, even though i can fly with them cause they are to far away at DAL.

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 02:32:00 PM »

horrible news.. reminds me of the time a challenger skidded off runway 4 (i think) on Rt46 at TEB airport. and hit 2 or 3 cars, that was a crazy day
Sirclown82

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 02:47:02 PM »

You know things tend to happen in groups, including A/C accidents. Oh i hope that doesnt start the next round of accidents.

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 03:07:08 PM »

Quote from: Haribda
Well, if there was no snow, the kid wouldn't die. Wouldn't you agree? I mean, the plane would stop at the end on the runway if there was no snow, so I don't think we can blame the company/pilot/plane for this particular case. Simple, no snow - no outside fatality.

right but the pilot could have chosan to wait for it to clean up a little or divert or reqest a diverant runway but you are sort of right.  that storm jsut hit here in bos
Neil

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 03:20:45 PM »

Given the amount of visibility at the time, I would imagine the pilot has to rely on pireps and voices from the ground about how safe the runway is....

In my *very* humble opinion, a 6500ft runway with 8 inches of snow on the ground in a residential area and low vis shouldnt be open to a 737. But whos going to change that? Certainly not the airport, and certianly not the airlines....

tyketto

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 03:30:26 PM »

Quote from: jamall02864
Quote from: Haribda

right but the pilot could have chosan to wait for it to clean up a little or divert or reqest a diverant runway but you are sort of right.  that storm jsut hit here in bos

Problem with the diversion though, is this.

Of the airports closest to MDW that SWA services, you have STL (which was in the storm), IND (which was in the storm), BNA, MEM, CLE (perhaps too far for reserves), MCI, and OMA. As the plane came from BWI, they could have gone to those in the path of the storm and toughed it out, but it would be harder to get out of those. That storm wasn't going to clear up until the early morning, so waiting was out of the question.  Unless we knew what alternate they had filed for or what they would request, we will never know. That storm went through OMA 2 days ago, and the town was socked hard. Although, I doubt this is the first of a string of incidents.

Let's also look at the field. From AirNav:

13L/31R: 5141 x 150 ft.
13C/31C: 6522 x 150 ft.
13R/31L: 3859 x 60 ft.
4L/22R: 5507 x 150 ft.
4R/22L: 6446 x 150 ft.

13R/31L, out of the question. 13C/31C is where they landed. If they had limited visibility (field was IMC), and 13C/31C had reduced RVR (which it did; R31C/3000V4500FT and decreasing as the storm passed), they could not use any other runway except 4R/22L, because of the ILS approach. With that one, they would have had a horrid crosswind component. Should they have used that runway, without knowing RVR on that, it would have been much worse than what it was. So their only other choice would be 13C with a headwind, or divert.

Until the NTSB comes out with their report, we can only speculate on what could and should have been done.

BL.
n57flyguy

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 05:40:03 PM »

Personally, I  think the pilot overshot his ILS and landed to late on the runway. The runway the plane landed on was 6,522 feet long, plenty of room to land a 737, even in snow. One thing led to another and ended up killing a 6 year old boy. On the news they were wanting to know if the pilot braked and used trust reverse. Who wouldn't? They didn't specify the use of spoilers though. Just my opion though.

Fly to live, live to fly!
Check out www.n57.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length