Author Topic: Transmitting Live Scanner Feeds to FM Radio using Rasberry Pi as a transmitter  (Read 11283 times)

Offline av8tor172

• Military Air Communication Frequenices, Live MilAir Streaming, Recorded MilAir Comms.
Once again I find myself playing with the Raspberry Pi and put together another "How-To" article walking you through step-by-step on how you can turn your Raspberry Pi computer into an FM transmitter.

One big use I've discovered immediately for this project is to listen to LiveATC.net ATC streams as well as my own MilAirComms.com military streams anywhere in my home on an FM radio.

You can access my How-To article as well as watch a video of my working system here:
http://milaircomms.com/raspberry_pi_fm_transmitter.html

Hope you enjoy.
Thanks
George
www.MilAirComms.com

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Very cool, George!

Offline bbrasmussen

• Aviation Photos
Love it George! Awesome. Keep the cool projects coming! Thanks for sharing them.

Offline InterpreDemon

George, can that program allow transmission on 49 mHz? If so, you could use an old portable, battery operated baby monitor receiver. I did that years ago with a radio shack model that had a belt clip. You could also just use a portable scanner, but that little receiver was great and the 9v battery lasted forever. I'll dig one out of the junk pile and get a model#, I had about three of them I used after their primary mission ended. Bypassed the mic input on the transmitter and fed line audio. The great thing was that the transmitter had a very fast attack, slow-decay AGC for the audio, a dynamic range of about 30db, and it was perfect for monitoring HF sideband on my big old tube rigs that did not have product detectors... could just set the RF gain way down low and let the baby monitor take care of the rest.

That monitor in it's designed configuration (listening to our daughter 26 years ago) was very, very sensitive. I remember listening from the shack in the wee hours of the night, the monitor was on the second floor, and I could actually hear the motorized zoning valves in the basement winding open before the circulator and boiler kicked on.

Offline av8tor172

• Military Air Communication Frequenices, Live MilAir Streaming, Recorded MilAir Comms.
Yes, it will transmit on 49 MHz, just did it.  One think to note, the Pi will be transmitting on WBFM. I can't remember if the baby monitors were wideband or not.  However I just set my Pi up to xmit on 49.000, tuned scanner to 49.000 and in NFM it sounded "ok".  When I switched the scanner to receive WFM it sounded perfect.....

George
www.MilAirComms.com

Offline InterpreDemon

Well, all you have to do if transmitting from a wide deviation FM transmitter to a narrow FM receiver is simply reduce the tx modulation (audio input level to the xmitter) down... it will then be "narrow" deviation and it will sound just as if it came from a "narrow" transmitter, which in fact the Pi would now be. You put a 60" wire antenna on that output pin and you'll get some pretty amazing coverage on 49.5

I had one of those early Sony cordless phones years ago, I gutted the base T/R unit by removing the existing pc-board mounted duplexer and attaching the tx and rx to a proper external six meter duplexer and coaxial dipole antenna up on the tower, and my cordless phone worked over the entire neighborhood.

Offline av8tor172

And if we get some good solar flares and some good Es (E-skip) conditions you're Pi will be heard around the world on 49.5.

I do a lot of DX'ing on 6 meters (50 MHz)  SSB and CW.  Actually have worked a JA (Japan) from Florida on 6 meter CW 2 years ago. Ok, I was running more power than a Pi, I was running about 1100 watts into a 3 element yagi.  He was running about the same....I think the hole in the Ozone still exists LOL...

George
www.MilAirComms.com