airtraffic

Author Topic: Various Terms.  (Read 5758 times)

Offline Zackrampage

Various Terms.
« on: June 14, 2009, 05:08:48 PM »
Ok, so I have attempted to look all over the internet and cannot seem to find the meanings of terms said at JFK Tower, and Ground. these include, alpha, bravo, echo, charlie, November etc.. I read somewhere on VATSIM that they represent letters A-Z, but I still don't get what they mean. For example.. JFK ground repeatedly said " Hold short of echo" for about 6 flights straight.. what is all of this? Anywhere I can read about it?

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
Re: Various Terms.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:26:22 PM »
They're the name of various taxiways around the airport, each with a different letter assigned to them.
They use the NATO alpha-phonetic alphabet in radio communications so taxiway 'A' will be 'Alpha'.

When they say 'Hold short of Echo' it means just that. Go up to intersection of Echo and stop.

I've attached the map of KJFK so you can see the names of the various taxiways in relation to the airport.

I don't have any links to hand where you can read up about it i'm afraid but i'm sure someone here will direct you to some.

.mark

Offline Zackrampage

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 05:41:38 PM »
Thank you so much Mark! That was awesome.. by any chance mark do you do any of the VATSIM stuff? I ask because Im new to that and need major help and feel overwhelmed.

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 05:50:40 PM »
no problem!
i don't do any VATSIM stuff i'm afraid, but there are some VATSIM users here and hopefully they'll read this and help you out.

Offline swayze84

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 06:09:47 PM »
I'm not sure how deep you want to dive into this, but the FAA's Aeronautical Information Manual has a wealth of information on (among many other things) ATC communication.  Here's the link to the online version - it sounds like chapter 4, and maybe 5 would be of interest to you:

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/

Offline Zackrampage

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 06:12:04 PM »
Thanks swayze. That was helpful!

Offline sykocus

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 02:50:37 AM »
might want to also check out the PCG (pilot-controller glossary)

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/PCG/index.htm